Stress Community
Cause for genuine concern?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

Cause for genuine concern?

Hello.  I am new to this site.  My husband has observed some of my health patterns and thinks I should look into it further.  I will start from the beginning:

First, my body reacts terribly to stress.  It makes me nauseous and causes me to lose my appetite.  Because of this, I lose a lot of weight when I am stressed out.  A couple of years ago, my parents were going through a divorce and there were other emotional stressors taking place in my life as well.  During this time, I lost 15-20 pounds.  I am 5'8", and weighed 115 pounds during their divorce.  Since then, I am glad to say that my situation has improved greatly.  I am a newly wed, and am happier than I ever thought I could be.  I have gained the weight back, and I am back up to 135 pounds.  I feel MUCH better.  

During this "skinny" time, however, there were many times when I would become ravenously hungry.  My roommates would call them my "hunger fits".  I would become extremely irratable and would start to feel bad unless I ate something.  This occured a few times before the skinny period, but started happening more during the skinny period.  Now that I have gained my weight back, I still get very irritable and feel horrible before meal time or if I need a snack.  At one point over a year ago, I had a fainting spell and was put on an IV in the ER.  they told me I probably had a virus, but I felt much better almost instantly after the IV was administered.  From what I understand, these are symptoms of hypoglycemia.  My mom and aunt have hypoglycemia, and I think I have similar symptoms, though I've never been diagnosed.  I am not diabetic, and the only medication I am on is birth control--a medicine I was not on during my skinny time.  

My main question is--are poor stress management, weight loss due to low appetite and therefore poor diet, and hypoglycemia-like symptoms all related?  Does one exacerbate the other?  What are some natural remedies for these problems either together or in isolation?  When is it time to see a doctor?

Thanks for the help.  
This sounds like your adrenals are weak.  This can lead to hypoglycemia as well.  One of the things I use for stress and anxiety is deep breathing, and I use visualization to help as well. I hate to use Rx meds, so these are just 2 of things that I do.

you might want to research on kava kava and valerian root and see if these are something you want to try. 5 htp, and st johns wort also.

The adrenals are really affected by stress and if they are in a weakened condition to start with, then lots of stress, it does not do a body good.

pm me if you'd like. I don't check here every day.