Stress Community
Effect of Stress on Vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

Effect of Stress on Vision

I was just wondering if stress can cause vision problems and if so how they might manifest themselves.

The reason why I am asking is that when I am on one on one conversations at work I experience what you might describe as transluscent lines in my vision.

They seem to occur when I am stressed out and happen in the bottom part of my vision when I look down. I see them when I am looking at a clear bright background say if I look down at the desk of the person I am talking to. It only lasts for a short while i.e less than a minute or two and when I know I am stressed. Sometimes I find it very difficult to relax in the office work environment and can get quite tense

I recently took a long break from work and I never experienced it then. Also, I don't experience it all the time.

It does not happen when I feel relaxed or when I am talking with my family,

Is it possible that stress could be causing this?
When you get stressed, your blood pressure has a tendency to rise. When this happens, visual disturbances can occur. Do you know what your blood pressures usually are? The next time you have an episode of stress, try to get your blood pressure taken, either at a clinic, or a hospital, or a firestation. Whichever is most convenient. It sounds to me like that is what you are dealing with.
It's possible that stress causes it. Take rest and try to relax,if your vision comes back,maybe it's just because of stress, But if your vision continuously stays like that,consult your doctor already.

I hope it helped.