Stress Community
Stress and guilt symptoms...advice please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

Hi All,
I am kinda freaking out after a sexual encounter. It has been nine weeks and STD tests and HIV have come back negative. My body does not feel "right". I do not feel like myself. My questions are:

1. Is there any relationship between guilt, stress and depression? (I am married and have never been with anyone except my wife; this was a stupid, drunked encounter that I never thought would happen). I feel tremendous remorse and guilt and sorrow. My wife is also pregnant which scares me more and adds fuel to the guilt.

2. Can stress cause legitimate physical symptoms?

Any added info or help would be greatly appreciated. I am freaked out right now and could use some help from someone. Please help
Thank-you so much
You are suffering from Anxiety caused by the guilt you feel, eventually you will feel better and forgive yourself,and yes to answer your question ,I do believe there is a relation to Depression, you are going to have to put up with all that ,it will help you to realise you could loose your wife and child,go with the flow and never do anything to hurt them again you may not be given another chance by her,You can get Physical symptoms .
Of course stress/anxiety can have physical symptoms. The mind is a very powerful thing and can absolutely affect the body. Have you told your wife? Are you going to tell her?

The problem with extreme guilt like this is that you will only feel better if you tell her, but it's a catch 22, because then if you tell her it will only hurt her and/or ruin your relationship while making you feel better. It's a tough situation. And from someone who just had a baby, she would be absolutely devastated and feel so betrayed.

"Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months. It is exceedingly unlikely that someone would take longer than 6 months to develop antibodies.

I'm not trying to worry or further upset you, but I feel like I should deliver the bad news about your HIV test : "Getting tested earlier than 3 months may result in an unclear test result, as an infected person may not yet have developed antibodies to HIV. The time between infection and the development of antibodies is called the window period. During the window period people infected with HIV will not yet have antibodies in their blood that can be detected by an HIV test. However, the person may already have high levels of HIV in their blood, sexual fluids or breast milk. Someone can transmit HIV to another person during the window period even though they do not test positive on an antibody test. So it is best to wait for at least 3 months after the last time you were at risk before taking the test, and abstain from unprotected sex or drug use with shared needles in the meantime. Some test centres may recommend testing again at 6 months if you're deemed to be at particularly high risk of infection."

http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

Good luck with everything and you may want to go get tested again in a few months.