Stress Community
Visual images of family dieing in a car crash... Please Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

Hello, my name is Justin I'm 32 and this problem has been happening on and off for the last 5 years

I don't know if anyone else has this happening to them...But when I see my family drive off after I say good bye...
I would have a mental image appear ...  
for example as I watch my -wife, parents , sisters or in-laws .. pull out of a drive way or drive off down the street turning around the corner ... I would start to get this visual image (like a video) playing in my head and I would see them being collected by another car or truck.

Also  if I am driving through a intersection on a stale green light..  I would also some times  visualize someone some one crashing into me ....

Does any one have the same thing happen to them .... I dread these images ... I never have dreams about this and only happens when I am awake and see Family drive off ... and I say G*d forbid because I am worried it will now happen because I thought about it

Thankyou
If you have paranoia you may fear that something bad will happen; think that other people or external causes are responsible; have beliefs that are exaggerated or unfounded. Generally speaking, if you are paranoid you will feel a sense of threat and fear.  

I had paranoia from serotonin deficiency - in my case due to severe vitamin B12 deficiency. I used to think my house would be burnt down every time I drove into the drive way and every time the phone rang it would be news someone I knew died and my heart would start racing.  

Nutritional Healing has an article about serotonin deficiency although not all the causes and symptoms are listed.

"Serotonin deficiency signs/symptoms:

Depressed
Nervous/anxious
Worrier
Fears/phobias
Negative/pessimistic
Irritable/impatient/edgy
Obsessive compulsive tendency
Think about the same things over & over again
Self destructive, masochistic or suicidal thoughts/plans
Low self esteem/confidence
Anger/rage/explosive behavior/assaultive
Sleep problems/light sleeper
Crave sugar/carbohydrates/alcohol/marijuana
Use these substances to improve mood & relax
Feel worse in and dislike dark weather
Chronic pain (e.g. headaches, backaches, fibromyalgia)
PMS
Antidepressants or 5-HTP improve mood
Family history of depression/anxiety/OCD/eating disorders

Serotonin levels may be low due to a combination of genetic and acquired reasons. Serotonin can be raised effectively using either nutrient based therapies or medications. Serotonin is synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan.

Factors which reduce serotonin levels:

Stress
PCB’s, pesticides and plastic chemicals exposure
Under-methylation
Inadequate sunlight exposure
Tryptophan (precursor) deficiency
Iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, B3, B6, folate & vitamin C deficiency
Inadequate sleep
Glutathione deficiency
Chronic infections
Food allergies
Genetic serotonin receptor abnormalities
Chronic opioid, alcohol, amphetamine & marijuana use
Human growth hormone deficiency
Progesterone deficiency
Impaired blood flow to brain
Insulin resistance or deficiency"
You are very anxious and worried about losing your family and this is very natural.  You do seem to have an overwhelming sense of things that could happen.  

Unfortunately, no one can predict what will happen to us and fatal accidents can happen at home just as they can happen when driving a car.

Visualising what could happen, will NOT make it happen.

Can you remember what may have triggered these visualisations?  Have you experienced losing a close member of your family or lost a beloved pet?  This may have triggered off the worrying visual thoughts that you are experiencing now.  

With regard to visualising that some one may drive into you at an intersection, makes you aware of dangerous driving by other drivers.  You cannot predict what other drives will do, but you are in control of what you do whilst you are driving your car.  I have a fear of that too so make sure that I look all the time (even when the lights are in my favour) for idiots that do not follow the highway code.

I had a near miss many years ago, when a driver was indicating to turn, but didn't.  So now I wait until they manoeuvre to turn into a junction before pulling out.

You may benefit in having counselling sessions to help you to cope with these overwhelming visualisations of losing your family.  

Paranoia and Anxiety can cause such hallucinations and create panic in the human mind. Human mind is very complex. Our deepest fears, sometimes, feel so real as though we are experiencing them right then and there. Dont let your fear and imagination mess with reality. Calm yourself. The least you can do is divert your attention to something good and positive. Consult a psychologist and you ll feel better in no time.  
Hey I'm 20 and have a history of depression an anxiety and I know exactly what your talking about this happens to me a lot it gets to the point were people will have to say my name a few times even raise there voice for me to snap out of it this has been happening to me for a few years it used to only be when I was in a vehicle I'd see basically a video of another car swerving into our lane and my images/video in my mind would continue usually till I was holding them in my arms dead and it always feels real to me because my mind projects every detail but now it happens even out of vehicles unexpectedly I've been trying to find out why this happens but no ones been able to give me a solid answer but I know how u feel its hard to deal with.
With you mentioning that you have a history of depression and anxiety, are you on any medication at the present time for your depression?

You do not need to answer that.  It is just to make you aware that your vivid images may be caused by the medication that you may be on for your depression if you are taking these.  If you are, the information leaflet that comes with the medication will list all possible side effects, common side effects and uncommon side effects.

If you are not on any medication, you may consider whether counselling and especially EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) may be helpful for your.  Your doctor may suggest other types of counselling.