Stress Community
can stress cause visual disturbances?? and headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

i had been stressed for awhile and when i was about 6 months pregnant i started getting visual changes out of nowhere.. i started seeing floaters and black flashes in front of m y vision when i was outside, i now have double vision in certain lighting and splotchy spots in my vision. i have had MRIS spinal taps, been to John Hopkins eye center and everyone tells me its stress.. all my blood work and tests come back normal. i  also get severe pain and pressure in the back of my head where the skull meets the neck.. can stress really do this ?? this has been 24/7 for 3 years straight
I dont have any answers for you but I do know that I have the same problems and they started when I was pregnant.  I had an eye test done, and they saw nothing.  People keep telling me it is anxiety, so it is possible to be stress.  I hope you get the answers you need.
just knowing that im not the only one who is going through this is a relief.. i thought i was the only one with these problems! thanks so much for responding!
Hey there ..yep in the middle of all this bs I'm going through I had it so bad (floaters ,blurry & got worse with pain) went to ER.... CAT & MRI nothing...its so crazy how your brain can cause physical things to happen. Just know the reverse is true it can make it all go away...YOU control it ..not the other way around :) good luck, get well God Bless
I can relate to your unexplained pain. First off I have had headaches just about everyday of my life since I was 9years old (Im in my mid 20s now).  The worst part was one day out of nowhere i got double vision that lasted a year and a half untill I had sugery to correct the problem.  I saw a million doctors that could not find the cause.  I had 2 catscans and two MRIs that always read normal.  In fact every test that was done read normal.  Since no one could give me an answer the only thing that made sence was stress. Stress can cause anything to go wrong inside your body so take care of yourself in everyway shape and form. That means excersize and dont eat crappy foods of any kind.  Sometimes peoples bodys are a lot more sensitive than the average person.  The hardest part for me was accepting the fact that there is not an answer for everything in life.
i am having very similiar problems. i had a miscarriage in feb. of this year since then i started to have visiion problems started with floaters pinches or black holes in vision and seeing shodows or specks of light. now i also have the double type vision in certian lights. i can get tons of pressure at base of head and also in back  of my ears. i am so frustrated i have been to family doc and eye doc both say stress and occular migranes (migraines). i am very nervous of the whole thing glad to see i am not as alone as i thought. Thanks!
i do think stress will cause that because i have had the same problems since i was sixteen... you stressing causes your muscle to tighten which makes the blood not be able to flow through to your brain as easy.. causing headaches... i find that if i relax and get rid of the whats stressing me it will go away...
stress will kill you
I also have been getting blurry vision for some time now - I went and saw an eye doctor and he said I had better than 20/20 and I am 37 - He said I looked like I was in my 20's and did not see any probs.

I had been tracking them and they did coincide with ovulation - I also have two conditions - Hereditary angioedema and Fibromyalgia. So I thought it was a combination of both of those.

The problem is now, I have been doing great, but the double vision has gotten worse. I am really into Chinese Medicine, they say the vision and liver is connected - I am wondering if it is possible that I am getting dehydrated when I have an HAE attack and that is why I am having the vision probs.

So much research, many questions, tried many things, and no real answers.....I do take vicodin, but have been taking it for years and an extremly low dose - as I have a lot of pain and work full time and have a family.....this vision thing is really causing a lot of problems in my life right now though.....I am the sole bread winner(husband is laid off) and we have an exchange student that I am not gettin along with - so I am wondering if this stress thing could really be the problem!!!
OMG!!! I thought/think I'm loosing it! I'm not a hypochondriac but I've been 4 different eye doctors and one 2x they all Saud stress..
I feel like there is pressure on my left eye..it feels swollen..I notice I'm uneasy going onto certain stores because the light effects me..its not really painful..just a nagging occurrence that doesn't let up.
Thanks for letting me vent I've been afraid of this ohhhhh I also have hypo thyroid in addition being a total stress mess.

Hi.. i also had the same problem but i didn't wait for so long years.. i consulted the doctor and he prescribed medication and also meditation.. Try meditation and soon consult your doctor as because it's related to eye..