Stress Community
how to help my kid stop wetting herself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

how to help my kid stop wetting herself

hi my name is angel i have two kids my young is 1 and my oldest is 5 and i was wanting to know why my 5 year old is still wetting herself at home and at school.
Sometimes children get so engrossed in what they are doing that they choose not to go to the toilet in case they "miss something".

When you see your 5 year old fidgeting tell her to go to the toilet for a pee.  

At school, she may be in the class room and too afraid to ask if she can go to use the toilet.  If it happens in the playground, she may be so engrossed with play, that she chooses not to go so as not to miss out on her fun.

If she was dry before and she started to wet again, it may be a psychological thing.  In this case, make sure that you give her lots of love, cuddles and attention.  Spend some time with her on her own and engage in play, writing, reading a bed time story of her choice.  

Psychological problems can happen when there is a much younger child.

Do ask her if she is happy at school, what she did, who she played with, what lessons she had, what she learned.  This is to find out if there is a problem.  Even at this young age there are little bullies.  

As her teacher if she is mixing with the other children.  And ask the teacher to remind your daughter to go to the toilet so that she does wet herself.

Ask your daughter if it hurts or stings when she does a pee.  If so, you would need to make her an appointment with the doctor.
Even children can get urinary infections.  

It may be that your child will take longer to stop wetting herself.
Is she dry at night?
I found that stopping all fluid 2 hours before bed and to use the bathroom right before bed and let them go to the bathroom 4 hours after they go to bed
It could be alot of reasons...dont want to scare you but I found out my daughter was being abused...you can stop drinks after 7 pm and see if it helps...but I didnt know oyher reason ubtil it was too late...good luck!
my 5 year old little girl she will go pee on the potty and about 15 to 20 minuts later she will ethier pee on the floor if she has no close on or if she has close on she will pee her pants and when she does have an accident she will start crying and sometimes comes and finds me and she will say mommy peed but most of the time she wont tell me when she pees on the floor or in her pants  why is  she so scared to tell me when she has an accident i never get mad at her for having an accident i stay calm and help clean her up and get clean close on and i tell her its ok we can try again later but why is she having accidents 15 to 20 minuts after going pee on  the potty
As you know that she is having "accidents" 15 to 20 minutes later after peeing on the potty, keep an eye on her and remind her to sit on the potty.

At the age of 5 she is old enough now to sit on the toilet.  My 3 year old grandson won't sit on the potty, he goes on the toilet and that is without a child seat on top. Try that, as it may make her feel more grown up and she may carry on going on the toilet.

Ask her if she can feel an urge to pee and ask her if it hurts when she pees.  

If she continues even when you keep remind her, look at her pee when she has done this in the clean potty.  Pour the pee into a glass jar if it helps.  The pee should look a light straw colour.  If it is cloudy she may have a urinary infection.  A dark urine may be a sign of infection or that she is not drinking enough.

More than likely, she is forgetting to go straight away when she feels the urge to go and holds on until it leaks out.  This is very common with children - they don't like to stop play or don't want to miss anything.

You know approximately the times when she pees, so just keep reminding her to go on the potty or on the toilet.

Don't forget to teach her to always wash her hands after using the toilet and before eating any food and to wash her hands after she touches any animals.

Best of luck.
she had an accident at school and the teacher called to come to the school because when she did pee she said it hurt and she started crying and the teacher didnt wont to do clean her up until i got there because there was blood in her pee
hi my 5 year old little girl had a potty accident at school the teachers dont know usrily call me when it happens because they help her get cleaned up but today she had an accident and when she did she ran to her teacher crying and said i peed and the teacher said its ok come on ill get you cleaned up but this time when her teacher mrs.craig went to clean her up she found blood in her pee
Her symptoms are that of a severe urinary infection.
I trust you took her to see the doctor straight away.

Keep her at home from school for a few days until she gets better.  She will need to have her medication (no doubt the doctor will prescribe an antibiotic) regularly.  Follow the doctor's advice - how to take the med which should also be printed out on the label that the pharmacist attaches to the medication for your daughter.

Make sure that she drinks plenty.  Even though it hurts for her to pee, she must still drink lots of fluids.  Diluted fruit juices will be fine as will plain water.  Don't worry too much if she does not feel like eating much, just as long as she is getting her fluids.  Make jello (English jelly) in the flavour that she likes.

I was going to suggest Bicarbonate of Soda, because this neutralises the acidic urine that makes it painful to pee.  Because your daughter is only 5 years of age, ask your doctor or the pharmacist about the safe dosage for a 5 year old.  You would dissolve a small amount into a glass of water and this is then drunk.  You would also need to ask how often and the time in between each drink that she could have.  There may be an alternative the doctor may know about.  The doctor may also prescribe the children's pain relief medication.

The infection is the reason for your daughter not being able to get to the toilet in time and urinating the 20 minutes after going on the potty for a pee.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Let me know how she gets on.
Best wishes.