Stress Community
my 7 year old step son poohs himself and smears it all over the walls

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

hi! can anyone please help! i'm in england but cant seem to find any help pages. My 7 year old step son poohs himself and smears it all over the walls in the bathroom and bedroom he shares with his older brother! He also wee's in their cupboard in their bedroom! Their dad and mum have been seperated for almost 8 months now (although for 2 years their dad was sleeping on the sofa and there was issues of domestic violence towards him). We have been living together for almost 8 months now and have a very relaxed reasonably stress free house. The boys sleep over all week as their mum works nights and go back to hers for the weekend. Their dad sometimes can work long hours so I have care of them during this time. Little man didnt have this behaviour straight away its probably been going on for 5 months. We have a good routine at our place and always reinforce positive behaviour but at his mums she hardly ever in and the older sibblings look after him and his brother. There's no really routine. we have never made a big deal about this behaviour all we ask is he puts his dirty clothes in the washing machine and asks to have a bath. Its took a while but he does this now. Before this he smears pooh everywhere and soemtimes its on the carpet too and also wees in the cupboard. We have tried regular tolieting routines and reminding him to go but this isnt working at all! HIs dad and i are both really worried sometime is very wrong...is it attention seeking? Is he upset by his parents splitting up? Is something going on and its a cry for help? We really do not know where to begin and his mum just shouts at him all the time which as a rule we don't!...Can anyone please come up with some suggestions cus i am completly stuck!
My son did that when he was 7-8 yrs old, he's high function autism, then he just stopped. Only did it in his room.
well they are old enough to understand this is not acceptable behavior. My neice did this for a while but she suffers from autism. It is a form of rebellion. As soon as the child is caught in the act and disaplined and made to clean up their own messes, then this whould help to curb the problems. Also allowing them to have over night guests, if this is the main time of the problem... then this should put a damper on the problem as well. They surly would not want to embarrass temselves with this behavior around their pals.
   But absolutly making them clean up the TOTAL MESS themselves is the key. They are big enough to paint they can clean it up. good luck.
What you need to do is take a deep breath breathe and take your step son to the ER. this does not sound normal i dont wan to sound mean but i think he needs to get a mental evaluation.