Stress Community
stress freak! help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

stress freak! help!

I'm 24 and I'm stressed most of the time I have parents that have been out of love since I was born and an only child, that's probably caused my stress? Also my first love cheated on my me maaany times, I'm over it but still, I don't like to be around my parents, they stress me out, normal with my friends tho, I do have money problems but I don't seem toooo worried about that, have no idea what career I want, ppl judge me for that and me n my bf have problems bc of me snapping at him :( him with other girls home if he doesn't give me attention, I cry everytime I have a bad day (really bad day) .. I just wanna ease up on life, I do look at the posotove side but then I'm back to negative
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so down.

Please go and visit your doctor.  As you are feeling so down, the doctor may prescribe some antidepressants to get you through.  It does take about 3 months for them to have any effect.

Also, I feel you would benefit from counselling.  You have issues that need to come out into the open and resolved.

It is not your fault that your parents are out of love.  Every child wants their parents to be together and happy, but it doesn't always work that way.  Even parents in love have bad times too.

Do not blame yourself.  You have your own life now.  It is good that you are having a good time with your friends.

The reason you are snapping at your boyfriend when he doesn't give you attention is that you are worried subconsciously that your relationship with him does not end up like your parents.  You lack confidence and self esteem and need his reassurance of his love.  A good relationship is based on trust.

Being an only child doesn't cause stress, but the way you were brought up by your parents not being supportive and not showing you love and affection, will have contributed to your having a low esteem of yourself.

I am the eldest of 5 and I had a lot of stress because of all the shouting and arguing and being told off for what the others did.   My mother was always sweet to the youngest (her favourite).  At the age of 17 I felt suicidal because of it.  I felt rock bottom and wouldn't eat and became anaemic.  

If you are feeling suicidal (I presume that is what you mean when you say you "wanna ease up on life") please seek help from your doctor.  Don't throw away your life because of your parents.  If you live with them, I can see it is hard to avoid them, but if you do not live with them, don't visit them too often.

Best wishes.

If it's ultra serious, and the negativity takes you to secret places of self harm or thoughts of "I'm so negative, it's a burden on others that everyone would be better if I were gone" you need to see mental health professional.  There is no shame.  I'm 31.  My parents were married for 33 years yet I knew my mom wasn't in love with my dad.  I had a negative outlook my whole life but things came to a head for ME because my mom got very ill when I was 19.  And that year I finally acted on thoughts I'd had my whole life that I never told another soul about.  I tried to kill myself.  I was diagnosed Bipolar.  And found out it my father is bipolar.  And many members of my mom are.  Wasn't till I got diagnosed and faced down the demons, got rid of guys I didn't deserve....all that.  Now I'm 31 with a guy for eight years.  My father died in 2011.  We're not married.  But he helps me be not negative.  Sometimes you must have stare down your demons and get it over with.  I'm even wanting to go into therapy, something I dropped out of before because I didn't like talking about my childhood.  Now I need to with a third-party. =)  Maybe that's all you need too.  But also remember, everyone goes through it differently.  I remember things that happened my mother swears she'd never do.  It's different perspectives and life.  I hope this helps.
thanks so much to both of you for sharing you're stories, you've both been more helpful than i thought i could find on here, the thing is i did kinda blame myself a lil, bc my parents only stayed togther for the sake of me, they didn't want me to live in a broken home, but staying togther not in love seems worse, i dunno... im not in any way suicidal tho or wanting to her myself.
you are right jemma, i didn't realize that either, that i am probably just wanting more attention bc i dont want to end up like my parents..i just dont know how to love properly bc i have never grown up around it :s  and now i know im not the only one who has thought unhappy about their parents and feel it affected by it, i agree with both of you and appreciate your advice, thanks so much!
Great.

I hope you can now move, don't blame yourself.  And enjoy your life to the full.  It goes pretty fast before you know it.  So make the most of your youth and energy while you can.

Best wishes for a happy future.
Previous message should have read:
I hope you can now move on and don't blame yourself.