Stroke Community
21yr old stroke survivor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

21yr old stroke survivor

Hi, I'm a 21 yr old female who had a iscemic stroke 3 months ago caused by my pill. I'm almost back to normal now living my life which I was before the stroke.

I'm on clopidagrel to thin my blood which I need to be on forever.

I want to hear from anyone in the same age bracket - to talk to.
hi there my name is jen.  like you i had a stroke at a young age, i was 24 and feb 2005 i had a tia on feb 10 and a ischemic on feb 13.  i was in the hospital for 2 1/2 months, i would have stayed longer but i wanted to get the hell out of there!  it really felt like a constant hangover 24/7, dizzy the room spinning all of the time, vomiting 24/7, unable to move my whole left side.  i felt like a doll being poked for blood 6 times a day!  its gotta be one of the most horrible things in life for anyone to have to go through.  now a day there are still problems i have like not being able to run, wear heels, wisp when i talk, total uncontrol of my emotions like i laugh at everything.  life is definitely not the same.

so you had a stroke because of your pills?  what kind of pills? how are you now?  what kind of problems did this cause you?  its nice to have someone to relate to.  let me know.

------:) jen
Hi Jen, It is really good to actually speak to someone the same age. Most people are in their 30's and above.

I had my 21st birthday in July this year. We went out for my birthday on the Saturday and on the Sunday morning I was in hospital, no warning signs as I was asleep and woke up with a major headache, went to the hospital and after 2 days in emergency they finally told me I had a stroke.... A bit too late to take any medication then.

They put it down to my pill because they couldn't find any other explanation. I was on the Levlen ED pill. I lost my whole right side of my body and 3 months later its all pretty much back to normal.

Are you serious? I find that now I smile, laugh or cry at the drop of a hat, its so annoying.

I'm getting married in February next year, only 3 months to go. After that my Dr's have said that I can try for a baby too. I think its a bit soon but the Dr's know better right?

Do you have MSN? my hotmail address is jacci_colb***@**** if you want to chat I'm always online.
FYI:  If they think that the pill (hormones) caused  your stroke...then you should be very careful because your hormones change during and especially after pregnancy.  You should probably check with a high risk ob/gyn.

I was also on the pill for a brief period of time right before I got married and my leg got heavy...I didn't follow up with tests because the heaviness went away.  It wasn't until afer I gave birth that I had problems.  My doctors don't think that it had anything to do with with hormones, but they don't know for sure.  where are you located?  I have some really good doctors where I live if you want to speak to them.
Hi C.F.

I am located in Australia.

I had been on the pill for as long as I can Remember and about 2 months before the stroke my dr at the time changed me to a higer pill (levlen ED) so we are pretty sure its that caused my stroke.
hi. JQ

I was also on the higher dose pill when my leg got heavy>>>>>
Wheoever told you need to be on a blood "thinner" for life is sniffing spacedust. Your stroke had a specific etiology, which was the pill. The half-life of that medication had by now resultedm in an insignificant quantity of nthe drug, which means you should have a normally functioning body. You are being presented with a standard stroke protocol, but one that is inappropriate. You need another consult, preferably from a physician who reads medical journals.
caregiver,

whoever told her to stay on a blood thinner isnt sniffing spacedust,  they are right.  the reason hy they had her stay on the blood thinners is because unfortunately now that she has already had a stroke she is at high risk to have another, regardless of her perfectly "normal functioning" body. it sounds to me like you must have wuite a few medical degrees yourself, so you probably skipped that page in your medical journal!
I also had a stroke and all of my top doctors said that it is more dangerous to stay on blood thinners for your whole life than to be off of them....especially if it was because of the pill!  For example, if a person on blood thinners were in a car accident, they would most likely bleed out.  I was only on them for a year and then I was put on aspirin and now on baby aspirin.  You should look into these options.
At for the life-long dependency on so-called "blood thinners" for an otherwise healthy woman in her twenties with a stroke of known etiology I stand by my criticism of her treatment protocol. I am reminded of the line by my favorite television doctor "Rocket Romano" from the show ER. "Have they even established they HAVE medical schools in Croatia?" Your comment Jen, that it is always necessary to continue on blood thinners" indefinitely has no basis in fact or logic. I do not recommend self-treatment. There certain circumstances where blood thinners would not be contraindicated, such as an elderly person with known atheroscheloritic deposits that permanently narrow the interior diameter of the blood vessels. My gut feeling is that this woman needs another (second) opinion - from an M.D. - preferably more than one M.D. The thing to remember ios that all medications that interfere with clotting mechanisms have their own dangers - if you fall off a bicycle and hit your head, for example, and are on thinners, you have a higher liklihood of bleeding into the brain - There is a "risk-benefit" analysis, and in the case of the young woman who posted I am concerned that this ratio was not adequately addressed.
And yes, aspririn is often an acceptable low-risk option.
For the record, clopadagrel, or Plavix, is being pushed by Dr. Garret Fitzgerald of the University of Pennsylvania, as an alternative to aspirin that does not use the COX molecules. Bristol-Meyers manufactures clopadagrel, and is in the midst of a massive marketing effort to promote this expensive drug as well as keeping track of it's post-stroke utilization in a massive drug study, the ethics of which are getting mixed reviews. This is not to say that this drug is bad or harmful or to refleck adversely upon Dr. Fitzgerald. Many lifesaving treatments have been developed by the American drug companies. It is a fact, however, that there are many rice-bowls involved, and there is often more in the selection of a drug by a physician than meets the eye. Low dose aspirin has been safety tested for over a century.
I definitely think you should get 2nd and 3rd opinion about lifelong blood thinners.  If you are no longer taking the medication that caused the stroke, then there are much safer alternatives to something as risky as you're taking--aspirin, garlic, fish oil, nattokinase, gingko, etc.
Excellent advice tressa999! My personal preference is for daily fish oil and garlic, a daily multi-vitamin, and paying special attention to good hydration. Ginko works well, however it is a powerful anti-coagulent, but I would hesitate to self-medicate with that herb in a post-stroke situation. It is difficult establish what dose of the herb you are getting.There are several other non-prescription herbal substances that promote blood flow and lubricosity. I hesitate to mention them in this post because they all have pros and cons. You might consider consulting a physician with a naturopathic orientation.
Ok, what if you had a stroke that was caused by a dissected artery and you are taking Plavix for the rest of your life?  Is that acceptable or reasonable?  I am 42 years old. I do not take birth control pills.
Plavix is not the worst drug in the world, and I has a relatively good safety history. It is being inappropriately promoted, but that does not mean that a physician is negligent for prescribing it. As for "taking it the rest of your life", maybe and maybe not. There is a great deal of difference of opinion. A dissected artery is a tricky thing. Ther is high mortality, and you are aware of that. One of the almost unsolveable issues is whether the dissecdted artery is a localized "one-time" event or some kind of genetic vulnerability. Let's give an example. An atomobile accident with a sudden stop can cause a tear/injury that may eventually result in a dissected artery. Or a punch from a boxer. A fall from a high place can sometimes do the same thing. On the other hand some people have a genetic susceptability to this sort of thing. You need to searchg MEDLINE and the net and to constantly look at the current literature, which expands our knowledge of these events every day. I would follow your physicians recommendations for the short term, but constantly review the situation, preferably every six months, and certainly not less than once a year. Do get a second opinion.
I had ArterioVenous Malformation ruptured in my brain in 2005, at 27. Similar effect to stroke with all bad aftermath of it. Now I am getting better and just wonder if anyone knows a good high-risk ob/gyn and neurologist for headaches and dizziness in Chicago area? Me and my husband might think about a baby soon, but are too scared for rihgt now. I do not want to go just to any dr. as i had pretty bad experience with first neurosurgeon Tim Malisch, who instead of preventing AVM from rupturing sped it up. I would appreciate advice.
I am 30 and had a stroke during brain surgery while they were removing a tumor. My left side is paralyzed and this SUCKS!!!!!
I am a 20 year old stroke survivor. I experienced a massive brainstem stroke when I was 18 from my birth control and almost died. If anyone would care to chat you can catch me best by sending me an email ***@**** :)
My son 13 just had a stroke NOV 28 due a blood clot in his basilary artery (brainstem),he spent 4 weeks in icu and antoher 4 weeks at NYU for rehab he has made remarkable recovery to the point where he is already getting tutoring to go back to school. He has some very slight slurring of speech and some issues with balance, but also seems to laugh at things too easily. he is on blood thinners for the next six months and we hope he can return to being a normal teenager without taking blood thinners but rather just aspirin -any thoughts on the laughing or thinners
hi  i had tia or mini stroke july 5. my speech were slurred and vision  blurry. i have recovered well except my speech is somewhat off. my doctor said i will be on coumadin for six months. he started me out with a high dose but not i'm down to 2mg. i just  try to be careful and know that if anything else happen that its in our heavenly Fathers hand.
my mother in law had a car accident in 8-06.  One month later began having strokes on right and left side of brain.  She has had to go on long term disability, cannot drive, trouble remembering words, etc.  In the accident her head struck the roof of the car with quite a bit of force.  One year before accident she had a knee replacement.  Before replacement she had to undergo physical and see cardiologist.  Absolutely nothing wrong with her then.  Has anyone ever suffered from stroke from car accident.  The doctor said something about lesions on the brain, but this was before I could get to hospital.  I lived 8 hours away.  Anyway that was the neurologist on call-nobody could remember what he was talking about.  When the strokes first started it was slurred speach, blurry vision, trouble with train of thought.  Her carotid artery was 45% blocked.  Several more strokes over the next few months.  By 1-07 there was 95% blockage.  Had stent put in.  No more strokes.  Lots of damage to speach and train of thought.  Does anyone know if this could have been the result of her car accident.
I'm 29 and I've suffered from 3 strokes - at 22, 24 and 26. I was on Coumadin for the last one and now take Fragmin and asprin.  I've officially been categorized as a cryptogenic stroke patient aka we can't find anything that is to blame.
I had residual affects from all 3 strokes and feel them when I'm tired or stressed but most of it now is phsycological and emotional.

I'm really happy I found this forum as I have found no support groups etc to talk to.  I can be reached at ***@**** if anyone ever feels like talking more.

Thanks.
I am a 27 year old birth control pil;stroke survivor (2/19/07). I was in the middle of a workout at the gym when I saw flashing lights and got a head ache. My instructor and workout partner thought I had a seizure and took me to the hospital I felt the effects immediately. I began losing mobility in my left arm and leg. After about 45 minutes in the  they finally did a CT scan and determined that I had had a stroke. Scary! After 2.5 days in my tiny hospitals way northern CA. I was flown to UCSF for 8 days then trandfered to a rehab hospital for a month.With slurred speech no left side mobility. All I wanted to do was get the hell out of there, back to my old life and my high heels. I was in PTandOT until this january when they discharged me saying there was nothing else yhey could do for me that I couldn't do for myself. I can walk with the aid of an AFO (ankle foot orthosis... not conducive to wearing heels). I'm getting movemeny back in my arm but nothing really functional YET.So, I keep waiting just like the rest of you. Keep up the hard work!  
I am 48 years old and had a stroke on 2/29 that only affected my speech (I was lucky).  They took off the pill that I had been on for almost 20 years.  I was looking for an answer to safe methods of birth control now.
there are some people had there stroke attack at early age.. i had a patient before.. she's 18 years old.. it's because of her dietary lifestyle.. she keeps on eating chicken skin, actually a lot of cholesterol..
I am 25 years-old and from Michigan, and I was told that I had a stroke from hypertension.  But I don't seem to have any after effects.  They put me on high blood pressure medication and that is it.  Could my doctors be wrong?
I'm 53 and had my stroke two years ago; totally out of the blue - there's no history of anyone with a stroke in either side of my family. I was on the contraceptive pill for almost 30 years( different brands throughout that period), ending with sterilisation in 1996. I didn't know that being on the Pill for so long could be a cause of strokes!

Am on various medications for stroke and angina, but received no advice whatsoever from our local hospital on how having a stroke would be likely to affect me. Stroke services in my part of the UK are set to cater strictly for the over 65's, and anyone younger than that has to find out anything they need by themselves.
My husband aged 54 had a (embolic) stoke in July, which affected his left side, he recovered quickly and was able to give a brilliant speech at our daughters wedding on august 9th 2008, then suddenly at the end of August his speech began to deteriorate, they detected another stroke which caused this. Now he has no other symptoms other than this speech slur, has anyone any advice. He has been referred to speach therapist, but as yet not seen anyone. He does regular tongue and speech exercises which i found on the the internet.
Does this speech slurring eventually go away, and how long ?

I am a 34 year old women who had a right side CVA (due to a dissection) July of 2008.  I first started with symptoms while working out with my personal trainer.  The paramedics didn't believe that I was having a stroke and told me I was exhausted and needed to rest. 6 hours later I had the stroke with my 7 year old finding me on the bathroom floor at home.
After weeks of investigating, they determined neck injuries from 2 car accidents 15 years ago and the weight component of my personal training, caused the stroke.
I was in the hospital for 12 weeks - 3 weeks in a regular hospital and 9 weeks in a rehab hospital.  I was on coumadin for 4 months and have been on a baby aspirin ever since.  My neurologist did not want me on a blood thinner for life, saying that aspirin would be enough.  5 areas of my brain were impacted; the brain stem, the occipital, parietal, temporal and frontal lobes.  The brain stem and Occipital lobe were the worse hit.
As many of you have written, I too laugh or cry at the drop of a hat.  This is very common since our hormones have been on an unbelievable roller coaster.  
I still have left sided weakness, walk with a cane, have upper visual field deficits (which does not meet the driving standards in Canada) and suffer from terrible migraines (much worse than before the stroke).  It can take a couple of years to get back to "normal."  I have just started back to work on a part time basis and the fatigue is overwhelming.  Rest, rest, rest is what I am told from all my friends from my stroke survivor group.  After reading statistics on strokes, I am blessed and grateful to still be here with my son.
hi everyone my name is lemor and i am a 27 year old female stroke survivor m i had a right cva almost 11 months ago  i would love to share my story with anyone who is interested you can email me at ***@****
Hi! My name is Holly and I had a stroke when I was 19. My carotid arteries got damaged during roller coaster rides. I had a major Ischemic Stroke. My whole right side was numb. It took me what felt like forever to learn how to talk, walk....everything. I almost died. The doctors told my family that it wasn't looking good. Now I am in college studying for my bachelors in psychology. I told myself that I was going to recover no matter what. I asked my neurologist if I could ever get pregnant after the stroke and they said yes. I don't really have any residual effects from it except I get tired during the day and have to take a nap. I have to take a baby aspirin daily. They took me off of Coumadin because they told me it would be more dangerous because it thins your blood too much to be on it long term. I eventually would love to have kids.
I am a 28 year old female. I had a stroke when I was 20 years old. Not sure what kind though. I was in a car accident and the seat belt had ripped and the buckle hit me behind my right ear and damaged my Carotid artery. Three blood clots and two aneurysms formed in my artery and 10 days after the accident a blood clot broke off and traveled to my brain and I had a stroke. I have memory loss. My life is like a bunch of puzzle peices that I can;t put back together. I have severe back pain from the compression fractures in my back bone and pain and stiffening of my neck from the fracture of my c-2. I have migraines all the time and they are so painful that all light, noise and life must stop from several hours to several days for my head to feel relief. I deal with depression and sparatic emotions. I get sad, angry, and happy with very little to stimlate those emotions. I can't keep my thoughts straight. I bounce from one thought to something totally off the subject. I stop mid sentance and forget what I was even saying. I am anxious and jumpy. I have at times even had panic attacks linked to post traumatic stress. I live a very "safe" life now. I have a hard time finishing my sentences. I repeat myself alot. So much that my 4 year old son gets upset because he thinks I'm playing copy cat with myself and he gets in trouble for "copycatting". And yes, I have a son. I was able to have a baby. But it wasn't easy to say the least. I went to a high risk ob/gyn and everyday I woke up still alive with a baby still alive inside me was a blessed day. During my fifth month of pregnancy I did have something like a mini stroke while I was driving. I spent a week in the hospital and was immediately put on bed rest. He was born 2 weeks early by a planned c-section and was born not breathing. He was under weight and still has health problems like asthma, allergies, and an immunity defense abnormality. My body suffered as well. They were unsure if I could even carry this baby full term, let alone deliver. I have now more back pain, more anxiety, and more of a risk of yet another stroke. I was taken off of the warfarin about a year and a half after the stroke. They thought I'd be giving myself shots in the stomach and god blessed me to where I was only taking a pill. I was one of those patients that they thought would be treated with medication for the rest of my life and I healed so quickly and so well that I am blood thinner free as to this very day. I am very blessed to be alive to tell my story. I hope that those that read this will read with empathy and not cold judgement. Everybody's a critic. :) Your blessed. We all are. I would gladly take the pain and consequences over dying. Because everyday I get to wake up to my husband's arms around me and look into my beautiful son's eyes.
How did you know the pill caused it.My doctors won't say that to me but yet we can't find any other reason
hey!  i am 28 and just had a stroke in October.  They are blaming the pill as well - Loestren. Feel like we are way too young for this!
Hello, I am now 37, but had a stroke when I was 28. I went on a rollercoaster ride of a free-fall ride, before the ride even came to a stop I thought I had pulled a muscle in the back of my neck, it just kind of hurt/ached and I didn't feel good about it at all. I was rubbing my neck afterward complaining about it as my hubby and friends were laughing at the good ride. We thought nothing of it at the time. I began getting severe, debilitating headaches for one month afterward, I went to 2 different doctors, an urgent care one and my regular doctor who claimed they were "tension" headaches. Never in my life did I think a headache from "tension" could be so painful. Both doctors blew me off when I explained the ride and the instant pain/muscle pull feeling I got and the immediate headaches from it. My intuition told me something was really wrong, but I was 28 and too embarrassed to actually admit that so I just did nothing and listened to my useless doctor. I was put in physical therapy, and I've just started to realize that my PT was gently moving my head back and forth to loosen up my neck (I had a very hard time turning my head, like when you eat a taco and turn your head to take a bite, I was unable to do that, and again my useless dr. assumed it was "tension" causing that) so as she turned my head, its my opinion that a clot that had formed as the tear in my artery was healing possibly loosened up and broke loose within a day or two afterward. I cannot remember how long it was after the PT and my stroke, but no more than 2-3 days.

Either way, I had a stroke in my cerebellum, my angiogram showed that the artery looked like it might have been torn, and it was speculated by them that the artery had dissected. They left me with no answers, no information, and told me they had no idea why I had the stroke, not one of the caregivers ever accepted my explanation for the rollercoaster, despite my husband backing up my story that I was literally rubbing it the moment we got off and complaining about it and the headaches started that night.

They told me they had no other explanation and said that they guessed it was the birth control pill I was on.

I was lucky, my residual effects were fairly minimal, but the depression, loneliness and fear it caused in me were so great, I hope others can get help the way I never did. Please don't make my mistake and think that just b/c you are young, its not possible. If your intuition tells you its not right, and your dr. blows you off, go to the ER and insist on help.

Oh yeah, I was put on coumadin for 3 months and my follow-up angiogram showed it healed. I have also had 3 healthy babies since with no problems at all, other than the internal dizziness I still occasionally experience, which has gotten much better with time. I had to do VESTIBULAR EXERCISES to help with the dizziness, look it up, you can find them online and they are very helpful.
hi iam rastam from malaysia 29 too.and still had a stroke after had a brain surgery,i got a vasculitis.and my symptom is like a stroke after the surgery.its a rare desease. but im the lucky to got it!hihihihi
On 10/30/09 i had a stroke (avm) I'm 30. I am so happyeet you ladies. i feel so much hope from hearing your stories. I have weakness on my left side and lost of field vision. I see changes everyday. But the mental damage is the worst. You fell embaressed that your the only one going through this. I felt good in rehab b/c i was stronger than others now that i'm home i feel ashamed that everyone is moving except me. I have a 10 yr old son and a 4 yr old daughter. It's for them that mommy isn't the same. This weekend i'm giving them a big birthday party. I hope i can cope. wish me luck. It's my first big public event.  WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IS WE ARE SURVIVORS. THE STRONGEST WOMEN TO COME THAT BATTLED DEATH AND WON THANK YOU GOD. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU.
Hello Everyone I am glad to have found this post. I had a stroke 4 months ago at 21 then two weeks ago I had mini strokes. The first time I lost movement on my left side and regained a lot back by September then by the end of September I was back to where I  was accept i got double visions. I have no history of stroke in my family so the doctors parent sure why they happen. I am glad to see I am not alone. It would be great to have someone to talk to about this. My msn is ashley_r2006***@****.
Uncontrolable crying and laughing seem to be a common ailment in stroke survivor of all ages and gender. Im a 46 yr old male and it happens to me all the time and it *****.
Hey-

So i just recently got out of the hospital, I am 19 year old female, and thought I was completely healthy and normal, but I recently had a seizure and after doing several tests I recently just found out that I have had 3 strokes. They said the strokes were caused by a blood clotting disease called factor V, does anybody else have that?!
I also have factor v mine was deemed clinically insignificant but i had my stroke May of 07 I was 26 years old. Its something you have probably had your whole life and didn't know it. They thought it might have caused mine then changed their mind. there were some weird circumstances to my stoke though.
Hey im 20years ol.

I had a stoke two weeks ago all from a bending over in the shower and coughing.
They foung a pfo in my heart and they have told me i should get surgery to close the hole but there is no proof that it prevents having another stroke.
They also told me it could have been caused from the pill and smoking on top of that so i have stopped taking the pill and quit smoking.
Im a bit confused and scared whether to do the operation
and my emotions are so out of wack.
i cry really easy over stupid things and have been snapping at my boyfriend which i never used to do.
Its nice to be able to just tell people who have been in the same boat.
hi i'm karla, my boyfriend had stoke last july, he was working out in a gym at that time that it happenned, he was only 21. It was left sided hemipharesis. it was really traumatic. He's trying to recover, he can walk though its kind of slow, he can move his arms but not his fingers, though he can give a really tight grip. I'm hoping he can go back to normal. He haad so much plan for he's life and still young. I hope for your prayers, and i'll also do the same for you, :) I hope also you can give me advises to tell him, he gets really depressed alot a times.

Thankyou, God bless us all.
hoping you can add me up here. :) so glad there's someone i can talk to about the same condition :)
My fiance had a stroke 3 years ago. He was 21 years old. He took a 5 hour energy shot and 1 hour later he exhibited stroke like symptoms. Thank goodness we went to the hospital when we did because the doctor who treated him said we came in just in time. Luckily he hasn't developed any problems with his movement and he is probably in better health than me. H e recently was selected to be a Border Patrol agent but before he gets hired, they must take all of his medical history. I am so worried that they will shoot him down. I don't want to see his dreams disappear. He is such a good person. Is anyone out there in law enforcement that can give me any advice?
hi, im a 24 yr old female, i had a stroke at the end of last year december, i too was on the pill, Levlen ED and believe this is wat my stroke was caused from, i still have muscle pain in my back because my gluts and deeper core muscles are styl weak. its being 6 months now, and all i want is just to go back to normal
My daughter who was 28 had a stroke on July 30, 2010.   She had several TIA's before the massive stroke, she has been in therapy for almost a year.  I don't understand why people so young are having strokes.  Doesn't make any sense.  Bless you all.
My sister 18 years old had a massive stroke in June 2010, she had a craniumotomy to let her brain swell. We were told she may die or be left severely disabled. 1 year down the track she is doing amazingly well. Walking, talking again. Its been a hard road for her though. 1 month ago my dad had a stroke in exactly the same artery he was 53, he also had a craniumotomy but he didn't survive and became brain dead. My sisters blood results have all come back normal, as have mine. But they hospital think there may be a genetic blood disorder in our family to have caused this to happen.. Anyone else have any advice.. Im freaked out!
im a 22 y/o male i had a stroke last 1 year ago by oct. and im really afraid  becouse i still cant control my arms and fingers can some body tell me if how many years it takes to go back to normal my movements? pls answer this becouse im really afraid no to get back 2 my normal stenght again
I'm roli from india i have  ichmic strok last month caused my pill please i talk to you few question please join my id ajay.***@****
Hi my name is siddha and I had a stroke aged 19. I have a clotting disorder( blood clots too quickly). So I have to have clexaine injections everyday. The damage I have left has affected me a lot. My memory is really bad, the brain damage has affected my personality and I still have some problems with my left side. I used to dance a lot but now I cant as my co-ordination is stupid! I found that a neurologist in southampton was of no help what so ever. He disbelieved me when I told him about the stroke. We had to fight for two years before he eventually agreed to a MRI. Even when the results proved what I had been saying all along, he still dismissed it!! Because of his attitude, the damage left is worse than it could have been. There really should be more research in to why us young ones had strokes. Gps and consultants especially need to be more aware of the damage left after a stroke. I am looking into going into medical research myself to try and get an understanding as to how and why this happens.
hi my name is raji. I'm 21 years old.in july 28 2011 all of a sudden i had a heart attack. i had 5 surgeries and then in august 29 i had a major stroke. my whole left side was affected.i couldn't walk or talk. then i had a brain hommorage. i had 17 surgeries total. and now I'm in the list for a heart transplant. pray for me. i wish i'll be back to normal.give me suggests.
Hi my names Amanda Im 28 yrs old. On 10-22-12 I became aware there was something wrong. I woke to sharp pains in my chest that was shooting down my arm it didnt last long but the pain was very intense. I went ahead and went to work where it happened again sending me to my knees. It wasnt 10 minutes after that when i tried to stand and my left side was to heavy and I couldn't move. I work in a Nursing home my charge nurse helped me to a chair checked my vitals and my blood pressure was down to 70/30 she immediately sent me to the hospital where they worked like crazy. When I was coherent again the doctor told me I was one of his rare cases I had a heart attack which also lead to a stroke.I have regained the use in my left side for the most part but I still feel very sluggish. I am home now on bed rest. I havent been to my cardiologist yet but im worried that being my case is rare the posibilities of it happening are great.

Stroke commonly affects the emotions.  It can cause lack of control of your emotions and an improper response may happen at inappropriate times.  This is called the pseudobulbar affect.  Pseudobulbar affect (PBA), also known as emotional lability, is a distinct neurologic disorder that causes sudden and unpredictable episodes of crying, laughing, or other emotional displays.

The fact that your case is rare does not mean that you are more likely to have it happen again.  While you are waiting to see your cardiologist, perhaps you could ask your regular doctor your question.  It's great that you have had such tremendous recovery. Keep resting and don't stress out about it happening again.  Stress can be far more of a cause of it happening again.  You take care.
How long ago did you have your stroke?  Yes, there are a lot of young people who have strokes.  It sounds like they discovered the reason for your stroke with your blood clotting disorder.  If your stroke wasn't long ago, you can still make a lot of progress, but you should have physical therapy and perhaps other therapies.  You make progress for years after a stroke.
Hi i have a couple quetions for u about the med u r taking i am out of med and i have no way to get more i am little scared I haven't hd any meds in  weeks. i had my stroke may 20thi was on the plavastatin sodium and clopidogrel, an i need a alt med
You don't say why you can't get any more of your meds.  Why is that?  What alternate medicine is going to be free?  If money is an issue, you should talk to the pharmacy about any financial help that may be available through the manufacturer or elsewhere.  

Are you aware of how important it is to keep on the clopidogrel?  That is to help prevent further blood clots which could cause an even worse stroke.  The successive ones are usually worse.  Do you realize that a stroke can leave you paralyzed, not able to speak, in severe pain or even death?  What could be any more important than you getting that medicine?

The other medicine is to bring down your cholesterol which is another risk factor for strokes, but not as important as the clopidogrel or some other antiplatelet medication.

You should be scared.  Do whatever you need to do to take that medicine.  Let me know what is specifically the problem.  Maybe I can be of more help to you.
are u still unable to run wear heels or any of that stuff u said I was just wondering because I had a stroke about 8 mths ago
Hi I had a Tia an a stroke on bank holiday weekend may 2013 I am only in my 10 th week ov recovery an I am 28 years old xxxxx