Stroke Expert Forum
3 year old has stroke and blood clots found in her brain and lungs

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Strokes.

My very best friends daughter just turned three last week.  She was limping and was brought to the Dr.  They first thought lukemia.  They then thought it was another type of cancer.  They were both ruled out.  Today they said she had a stroke and that she has blood clots in her lungs and brain.  They are giving her blood thinners now but have no clue really what happened or why.  I AM BEGGING... does anyone have any information on this or know anyone who has gone through this.  The DR's say this is the first case any of them has seen.  And she is at a great hospital with top Dr's.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP US!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
My heart goes out to the child, the parents and you as a concerned and dear friend.  It is rare and unfortunate but infants, kids and even unborn babies suffer Stroke. Stroke is not just an elderly or adult condition. More than 100 potential risk factors have been suggested for stroke in children.  The causes of stroke are different in children than adults. A definite risk factor may not be found in about one third of children. The most common cause of Stroke in children is Heart disease. Other causes are- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome ( formation of antibodies against own body phospholipids), Arteriovenous malformation ( a congenital disorder), Birth injuries, Blood clotting disorders, Disseminated intravascular coagulation(clotting mechanisms are activated throughout the body instead of being localized at the site of injury), Embolus( a clot formed elsewhere breaks loose and travels upto the arteries and blocks them), Genetic mutation, Chicken pox ( in worst cases may lead to paediatric stroke), Moyamoya disease (affects blood vessels in the brain and causes paralysis of the feet ), Melas syndrome ( characterized by repeated strokes), Polycythemia (causes increased production of RBC causing thickening of blood ) , Premature birth of the child , Sickle cell anemia, Vasculitis and a lot of other causes.
Detailed investigations need to be carried out to know the cause of formation of blood clots in the lungs and brain and meticulous measures must be taken to keep the causative factors under control to avoid further strokes. Please discuss the above mentioned causative factors with the doctors taking care of the child. I sincerely hope that the child recovers fast and has no such episodes in future. Hope this answer helps you. Take care and regards!
1 Comment