46 year old brother
My brother is 46 years old and had a stroke on 9-19-13 on left side of brain.My whole family is devastated.He left work early because he didn't feel right and had vision problems.His stroke happened in the waiting room of the ER in which they started the t-PA drip right away to dissolve the blood clot.From there he was transported to another hospital with a neuro dept.At that hospital we were told that he would never be the same,etc.His wife wanted to give my brother a chance and consulted with the rest of family to go ahead and remove left bone flap to prevent further damage to brain because of the swelling.It was touch and go with high temps and BP's then he went from critical with little hope to critical but stable.He is now at another hospital getting weaned off of respirator which is going well.I just want to hear from others with a stroke left side.I am a nurse but I do not know everything.I want to find out more about if you think they could hear you or see you.I think some days he does see then he drifts off.It hasn't been long since the stroke but I am worried reading about how long other stroke victims take to show some good signs.Also the neuro surgeon says that the clot destroyed 30% of left side brain,speech,etc.Will my brother ever know who we are,etc.Thanks in advance.
Hi, tissue plasminogen activator (TPA), needs to be given within 4.5 hours after stroke symptoms, this restores the blood supply to the affected part, as this had been initiated early its more likely that he may recover most of his functions. As a major area has been affected, it could cause edema and consequent effects. As the swelling and inflammation subsides and the blood supply is restored well, he should improve, until then he needs to be monitored. And once stable his doctor will initiate physical therapy. If the stroke is stabilized, and there is no further bleeding or clotting I would remain optimistic. Good luck with his therapy. Regards.
hello ,I am sorry about your brothers stroke.  My husband suffered multiple strokes at the brain stem on august twenty second. The situations sound very similar. I was given no hopeful news for recovery.  Like your sister in law I felt my husband deserved a chance to recover.  He spent three weeks in icu before being rushed out to an acute rehab.  While I rehab he came off the vent in three days. He was released from rehab a few days later.  It was explained to me that his level of consciousness did not allow him to participate in the physical rehab. He is now at home and doing pretty well.  He is more alert and moving his limbs. He can shake his head yes and know. I firmly believe he could hear and understand everything that was said around him. Going completely against the grain! .I expect him to make a complete recovery. There are miracles .
I'm wondering if your brother has recovered better.  I really hope so.  Please let us know.