Stroke Community
81 yo Mom-20 days in hosp after ischemic stroke-what next

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

On July 7 mom had a major right brain ischemic stroke. I found her about 10 hours after it occurred so little could be done to help. She has spent 18 days in ICU due to a MYRIAD of subsequent problems - edema, then overcompensation caused SEVERE dehyrdation, then fluid in lungs, then pneumonia, then infection, then after approved to eat nectar foods (despite several days of reported nausea) she began to throw up and aspirated the vomit, sending wbc sky high and damaging lungs further, now back to fluid in lungs. She had a port - then they took it out fearing infection. Then a picc line.  FINALLY they put in a peg line to start feeding her about 2 days ago. Blood pressure is still unstable. And she's on telemetry for a previously dx'd afib heart issue.  Basically - she has had so much wrong during 20 days in hospital that we've barely been able to focus on stroke rehab. Speech comes most days.  PT and OT seem to have stopped since they moved her out of ICU.  I'm told to find a long term acute care facility but they all seem unimpressive at best. Plus, with medicare she is quickly running out of the 60 days of inpatient care.
I've been reading about in home care, but at this point I'm anxious about just getting her out of the hospital. I have a brother but he is little help. Rarely there, mostly just tells me all the reasons why he can't help or even visit.  So basically it is just me. My son is leaving in 2 weeks for college - which is taking most of my money - so I feel like I have no options for my mom. I'd like to have her home, but no idea how to manage it or if it is possible.  
If I just had straight info from day to day at the hospital it would help. If she only had the stroke to deal with it would help. I stayed every day and night for 2 weeks, until my vacation time ran out. My son stays now, but he's 18 and not very informative. And getting bored after 5 days with her. (He was out of country when the stroke happened).
When she's not  in pain from something (now its the peg hurting her) she can speak. At first she even had a sense of humor but after 3 weeks in the hospital she is wearing out.
I'm at a losssssssssss
I am going thru almost the same ordeal with my brother. His health was poor when he had the stroke. We had some days of humor also and he was regaining some strength, but like your mom, only medicade. He is in a rehab now in rocky mt. va. but there is no rehab gonna happen now cause his daughter (which never visited him) took power of a. and now she has called in hospice. He has been sick now for about 19 days. She is only asking for comfort care. That is a slow morphine death. He is getting worse every hr. now. I wanted to take PO. but she refused, I would of even brought him to my home in nc. but she refuses. I think a person would be better off with some home care and TLC.