Stroke Community
After stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

After stroke

I was told that my elderly mom had a major stroke, first by a clot, they have said.. and then another issue days later(?) cause by an atrial fibrillation. Now they say the situation is critical... R sided stroke, and my mom hasn't really regained consciousness. her MRI shows one major stoke, and then a subsequent one caused by bleeding. Mannitol given and swelling of the brain has greatly subsided. Reacts to painful stimuli, by moving toes, when pinched under the arm. NG tube in place. Breathing on her own.. vitals stable. Walking a delicate dance with medications, to prevent further clots.. by also careful not to cause more bleeding.

Doctor encouraging the family to do DNR, and just hospice, because my mom has not woken up. I say~~ give her time. Its only been 2 full days...How long can this process possibly take before she wakes up-- if she does?
Tags: Major Stroke
First sorry to hear about your mother.

I am afraid that nobody can answer your question. There is no set time or way to tell if a person will ever come out of a comma. As to whether your family should sign a DNR and hospice is completely up to you and your family and no one else.

The only advice that I can give you is that when you and your family talk about this, is to think about what your mother would want you to do. I know this is an extremely hard decision to make, My family had to make the same choice.
thank you for your kindness in replying back to me.  The problem in this case is that because the ICU/CCU unit she was transferred , wants us to transfer her to an acute care long term hospital. I guess thats because while they admit that she is stable, for all intents and purposes right now, they are no longer giving the Mannitol to reduce brain swelling. . That coupled with the fact that she is still totally unresponsive ( still), has led them to be almost rude and forceful with my sister re: my mom. So sad~ its only been 3 days-- and they say she is basically occupying a bed, and no longer needing specialized care per their unit.

I KNOW she would not want long term "custodial care." if there were no awareness-- no recognition at all of anything.  And the problem is, as I think you well know, that the longer one goes without coming collectively as a family, about what the decision should be-- the harder it is to make any decision at all.

Thank you again for your reply.
Listen to me ...Whatever You Do  (Do NOT pay attention to Bad News That the Drs Might tell you !! Just Focus on your love one and God !!!!) Talk To God Daily & Thank Him For bring your love one this far  !! And Tell your Love one how proud you are of her!  smile ,laugh  and talk to her daily !
And watch How God Steps in ! It Might start off slow But just know that Everyday adds to progression !!! :)
God Bless you for your reply. Yes, my sister and I are depending on God to bring her thru this.. and to bring us thru this too. As a former nurse, I know that the statistics say, and also what the prognosis is, medically speaking.

We however know that God can turn things around. So we are praying for guidance here... for a sign, for his peace... either way...However while saying that~ I also know we also have to keep in mind what she would want, and that can be hard, very hard to do. Right now though ,I feel that she just needs to still be given a chance... that we need to give her whatever time she needs ,to give her body the opportunity to come out of it.

Thank you for your kind words!