Stroke Community
After stroke and no motivation for physical therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My mother had a brain stroke almost 10 months ago, paralyzing her left side body. Since that time we all are around her and trying to help her; however she is not motivated to do any physical therapy, so every single day we have to fight with her to be able to convince her to do her physical therapy exercises. We all are almost giving up because we have realized that this way is not going to work and she has to be motivated by herself. Is there any suggestion?

Another question: Just right before her stroke, my mother had a huge verbal discussion with her sister over the phone. Since then, she always blames her stroke on her sister, and now she hates her sister. Her helper just told us that my mother made a doll(with help of her helper) and she hits her every morning by saying that the doll is her sister. I am wondering if this is going to be a big mental problem for her?  What should we do about it?
Tags: stoke

Sorry to hear about your mum's stroke :(  Thank you for taking the time to post.

Has anyone spoken (not fighting, cajoling, persuading, etc.) with your mum about these issues?  Depression is extremely common amongst us strokees, she may have unresolved anger, guilt, anxiety, etc.  Combined with dependence due to inability to move well can put you in a very unhappy place.  Whilst I agree that it is important for her to be motivated to do her exercises, it seems as though she needs support on her emotional/pyschological side too.

Please continue to love & support her, she needs you.

HTH

Sue