Stroke Community
Aggrenox alternative

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Aggrenox alternative

Does anyone know what to take for an alternative to Aggrenox? I had a TIA almost 4 years ago and was put on Aggrenox, well, my husband will be losing his job in a week due to the economy which also means we will be losing our health insurance as well. I asked my doctor if he could take me off it and put me on something else and all he said was he would prefer I stayed on Aggrenox. I don't think we can afford it because it is $305 for a month supply! I am already on Crestor, so I thought Crestor and maybe baby aspirin would be enough. Besides Aggrenox has aspirin in it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As you have been stable on these medications, your doctor has suggested you continue with the same. Aggrenox has both aspirin and dipyridamole extended release.  Persantine is dipyridamole, but you will have to get extended release tablets as the two asprin and dipyridamole should not be taken together.  Don’t change the medications without discussing with your doctor. So, consult him and then decide.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for answering my question. He hasn't decided on what to do as of yet, but I won't be able to afford the Aggrenox. My husband will be losing his job in 3 days. I was thinking Persantine as well, but will see if my doctor will let me do this. All Aggrenox is is an antiplatelet medication w/aspirin and I don't see why he couldn't just prescribe me an antiplatelet such as Plavix. Will see what happens and let the forum know.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Studies have been done to compare the effectiveness of palvix versus Aggrenox in prevention of strokes. The results show that the outcomes are similar with both the medications. But there was higher incidence of bleeding tendency and headaches with Aggrenox when compared to Plavix. And cardiologists usually prefer Plavix to prevent coronary artery disease, so taking Plavix will help prevent both strokes and CAD. So, Plavix is a good option to prevent occurrence of strokes.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you Dr. Anitha!
I am hoping to talk to my doctor soon about this and I heard about Plavix being the best bet, so will see what my doctor says. I have had some bleeding problems since being on Aggrenox, even had blood in my urine. Had 2 more urine tests that showed no blood in the urine, so I was thinking maybe the Aggrenox was causing this. We still haven't figured out why there was blood in the urine because I had a Cystoscopy and ultrasound of kidneys and everything turned out fine. You were great help and thank you! Will keep you informed.
My doctor took me off the Aggrenox and started me on 325 mg. of aspirin a day. I guess this is the alternative that he wants me on. The aspirin is a whole lot cheaper than Aggrenox. So in case someone else is in the same situation as I am they should talk to their doctor about the aspirin regime!