Aspirin Dosage
Hi everyone,

My dad had a stroke 27 years ago. He's been taking 325mg Aspirin daily ever since. He had no accidents besides that one.
The question is whether it's time to lower the dosage. If so, to which dosage? 100mg?

We will consult a doctor, but I would also appreciate any of your opinions.

Thank you.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

According to studies done, antiplatelet therapy with aspirin reduced the risk of secondary stroke and MI significantly. And studies have also shown lower doses of aspirin are as effective as higher doses. Doses of 75 to 150 mg/day produced the same risk reduction, compared with placebo, as doses of 150 to 325 mg/day.  Lower doses also reduce the risk of bleeding tendencies. As your father has been stable, his treating doctor may consider dosage reduction, please discuss this with him.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks! I'll take this into account. Do you happen to have a link to some of these studies?

Hello and hope you are doing well.

For the literature you can check ‘UpToDate’ website. Search for ‘Antiplatelet therapy for secondary prevention of stroke’. Under Aspirin, you will get the details. Good Luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.