Stroke Community
Brain Stem Stroke and vertigo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Brain Stem Stroke and vertigo

My husband had a brain stem stroke two and a half years ago. He has recovered well physically but still suffers from vertigo 24/7. This is debilitating. There appears to be no medication to help with this. Can anyone offer the hope that this vertigo may stop with time? He is unable to work because of it and gets very tired very easily, as you can imagine.
Hello Dear,
Episodic vertigo frequently occurs in patients suffering from ischemia in the distribution of the vertebrobasilar circulation. Vertigo is caused by disruption of the vestibular systems of the peripheral ear or the brainstem,cerebellum. The brain stem is the area of the brain that controls all of our involuntary, "life-support" functions, such as breathing rate, blood pressure and heartbeat. The brain stem also controls abilities such as eye movements, hearing, speech and swallowing. You should consult a neurologist about the vertigo as it is not good to get repeated vertigo attacks.
Best
I also had a brain stem stroke 15 years ago, and suffer from vertigo.  unfortunatey, this feeling hasnt gone away up to now, but I can say that it definately improves with time.