Stroke Community
Brainstem Stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Brainstem Stroke

I suffered two strokes in my pons and midbrain after a chiropractic upper neck manipulation.  I'm very lucky to have survived and to have minimal physical deficits.  However, I struggle with cognitive issues such as attention deficiency, short-term memory loss and inability to multi-task.  Everything I've read about mid-brain strokes only mentions the physical long term effects.  Is there anyone out there who is experiencing cognitive issues from this type of stroke?...or has anyone seen any information online that addresses this?
I didn't have a brainstem stroke, but I did have a stroke and I have the same cognitive issues that you have.  What I do is write a lot of lists - but darn where is that list?  Also, I have a PSP and I play a game called Hot Brain to exercise my brain.  I'm not good but I'm trying.
I am 38 and have been diagnosed with basilar insufficiency by several doctors and the neurologist (but not confirmed enough by testing as far as I am concerned).  I had what is believed a TIA in 2004 that left me with 80% short term memory loss and the other symptoms you mentioned.  A couple of eye clots in 2005-6 also.  The memory loss has improved some since 2004 with the Aricept medication and cognitive therapy, I can now add and do some subtraction.  However, the multi-tasking has been getting worse with time.  I have been having more mini-strokes lately so that may account for the symptoms getting worse and more loss of eyesight.  You may want to get a neuropsych evaluation that will help pinpoint where the damage is.  My damage was to the left frontal and subcortical lobes back then.  In 2004 I didn't even know who my kids were and have been listed as having mild/moderate dementia since then.  I think they are called multi-infarct dementia even though the doctor and counselor have it listed as Alzheimers.  Obviously, I am too young for that.  Do you know what caused your brainstem stroke?  My doctors said there was nothing they could do but give me aspirin and pain medicine.  What is your treatment for this?  It is all very confusing to me and I haven't found much information on this type of thing.  I hope you will do well and keep improving - Kristin  
My mom had a hemorraghic stroke at her brain stem over a month ago. She is progressing great with physical rehab but still is very confused mentally. She has very limited short term memory. It is amazing she solved some hard math problems yesterday but goes offs with crazy stories about rabbits wanting her meds and telling me to have my dad (that has been deceased 8 yrs) to do things. But I feel she will get better than she is now because we see her getting more coherant. She is not quite 60 years old and was a very independent woman working two jobs before this happend. She is about to come home with me and I want to get her all the help she needs to regain her memory skills. Any suggestions will be great. You are in my prayers. TAke care!

Angie
A lot of the confusion that your mom is experiencing will subside in the months to come.  My husband (56 at the time) had the same kind of stroke as your mom.  He was confused quite a bit.  As the brain absorbs the blood caused by the burst vessel, your mom will come back to herself.  My husbands stroke was 10 months ago.  One of his deficits was mild loss of short term memory.  It comes and goes.  Some times he would get confused about where he was at but all that is fine now. Just do memory games with your mom, buy memory game puzzles, do things that stimulate the brain. Get them brain cells connected again!  Good luck to you and I hope your mom a speedy recovery!
I had a brain stem stroke in March 04, I was 42. I cant report any cognitive or memory issues, actually I wrote a book about my new life. so my memory seems to be as sharp as it was. I think the stroke decides (In a manner of speaking) what is effected. I just made it aswell. I am severly disabled.