Stroke Community
Can I fully recover from the stroke I had eight years ago? PLEASE help...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can I fully recover from the stroke I had eight years ago? PLEASE help if you can.

I am 17 years old, and I play the piano.  Eight years ago, I had a stroke, and it temporarily paralyzed the right side of my body.  For about a month, my mom took me to a doctor once a week for "therapy."  I had to touch my nose with my right-hand index finger and then touch his finger.  It was difficult for a time.  After about a month, we stopped doing it.  I don't know why.  If I do it now, it looks like I never had a stroke.  But you can tell if I get overly emotional; my hand starts shaking uncontrollably.

When I try to play the piano, I can play with my right hand to a certain extent.  Everyone knows that the melody is played with the right hand.  There are some songs I cannot play because it is fast.  I want to know if there's a way I can improve my right hand to the point it gets back to normal, without a large amount of money, and I can play whatever.  Is it a matter of practice, or is it permanent?  I know that John Hopkins had a stroke, and he learned to play with one hand.  I don't want to have to play this way.  I want to be normal, to be able to play with both hands.

PLEASE HELP ME!