Stroke Community
Can Strokes really happen to anyone and any time???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

In the wake of Houston Texans' coach Gary Kubiak (a middle age, ex football player who "looks" physically fit still) having a stroke and now my friend, a 32 year old female having one last night, I began to wonder why it happened to them.  Are strokes like heart attacks in that they can technically happen to anyone and at any time, but are more likely to occur if you are older, have high BP, high cholesterol, genetic predisposition, etc???  

James,

The simple answer to your question is yes. Strokes can happen to anyone and at any age. There are two major types of stroke:

Ischemic stroke
   Hemorrhagic stroke

A Ischemic stroke occurs when a blood vessel that supplies blood to the brain is blocked by a blood clot.

A hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a blood vessel in part of the brain becomes weak and bursts open. Some people have defects in the blood vessels of the brain that make this more likely.
Does eating healthy and staying relatively fit decrease your chances of having a stroke or is there no correlation between two?
James,
I would say yes and no. If a person has a stroke because of a weak blood vessel in the brain (aneurysm) it really does not matter what shape your in. It is just a defect in the blood vessel.

As for a lschemic stroke I would say yes. Staying in shape and eating healthy can decrease the odds of having a stroke, but not 100%. If you have surgery for what ever reason you could get a blood clot. My wife had knee surgery and got blood clots in her leg just because she was not able to use her leg like she normally would.

I would not worry about it. Eating healthy and staying fit is a good thing regardless of the reasons.
About 10 to 15% of strokes occur in people under the age of 45.  Most strokes are the types that can be greatly helped by treatment within 3 hours, possibly 4.5 hours later after the first signs of it.  SO it is very important to be aware of the signs of stroke and go to the ER immediately.  They say to call an ambulance.  75% of people are not aware of stroke symptoms, so that could account for far more disability than would be otherwise.

And be aware of those around you whose judgment can be impaired. I as well a friend of mine thought nothing was wrong even though we couldn't talk and were initially paralyzed. Sounds bizarre, but I am someone who is super tuned into my body, except that morning.
I agree wholeheartedly about knowing the signs of a stroke to improve the persons odds of less "damage". I know that problems with speech is 1 sign, along with one side of the face dropping. When I took my wife to the ER they did a ultrasound of her leg and the next thing we know she was getting a shot of the blood thinner warfarin and a doctor tell us she will be staying for awhile.
As the saying goes "Knowledge is power."
Very well said.
I really meant to reply to JamesAA instead of to you, since I knew that you were well versed about strokes. You gave excellent advice!
I had a stroke at 37. For no reason. I've had every test known, and more blood drawn then should be allowed by law. Nothing! Medical mystery is the term my dr used. So yes, anyone, anywhere, any time. And I didn't know I'd had a severe stroke for 10 days. Knew the symptoms, just too blind to believe. Wish I had paid more attn to my body, and been more adament at the ER 6 days later when they sent me home.

If you had a severe stroke, then you would have not been able to speak properly or walk properly or swallow properly--if at all.  Wouldn't someone have caught it, since your judgment might have been impaired from the stroke?  As I myself had no idea that I needed any medical care while hardly able to talk.  Did you have a carotid artery dissection which is most common in people ages 30-60 years?  That's what happened to me for no reason.  Sometimes those type of strokes just happen without reason.  What are your disabilities?  And how long ago did you have your stroke.  Please let me know so that we can share more.  Certainly wish you the best.
Sorry I just your other posting with all the details.