Stroke Community
Can a teen get strokes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Can a teen get strokes

Can a teen suffer or get strokes... Hold on. How many strokes is there a d how do they feel??!
YES.....Any age can suffer a stroke. I was 26 when I had my stroke. My friend was had her baby and 3 hours after he was delivered he had a stroke, a baby! It can happen at any age. Just know the side effects of a stroke coming on, the sooner you know the faster you can get treatment. Time lose is brain loss. There are various types of strokes. My stroke was in the brainstem, they consider that to be the worsekind. Your brainstem is like a central hub of your bodies functions. You'll feel numbness, slurring your speech, and your walking is unbalanced. I hope this helps answer your question.....
Really . Wow I didn't know that . Is that I don't even know if it  was a stroke because it lasted about 30 seconds max and didn have neirological problems just a bad dizzy sensation in the back of the head that I never had before .... I don't know war to think
My name is Ellie and im 16 years old. I had a mini stroke on the left side of my brain about 2 months ago. I didnt have any medical problems, no blood clots, high blood pressure, i dont take birth control (any of the main factors) but i am overweight. Doctors have no idea what could of caused it except for stress and thats the hardest part dealing with it because i dont know how too prevent it or how it happened. I couldnt talk (felt like i had a thick tounge) and had numbness in my right arm. I dont feel as if the doctors did enough for me, the only medicine i take for the stroke is zoloft because of anxiety problems now because of the stroke, and a baby asprin. Is their anything else that can help me?? I live in fear everyday thinking i may have another stroke in the future because of this one. I need help, if anyone has any suggestions, please tell me.
Yes teens can have strokes, anyone for that matter can suffer from a stroke. My daughter had one 4 years ago at the age of 14, she is now 18. It was an ischemic (clot) stroke. Types of Stroke

Clot (Ischemic) | Bleed (Hemorrhagic) | TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack)

If we consider an isolated blood vessel, blood flow to the brain tissue can be hampered in two ways:

the vessel clogs within (ischemic stroke)
the vessel ruptures, causing blood to leak into the brain (hemorrhagic stroke)

Signs are
The American Stroke Association wants you to learn the warning signs of stroke:

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

My daughters stroke was severe, and was a right sided stroke, which means it affected her entire left side. She does not have the use of her left arm, and still has trouble walking, headaches, depression, seizures, vision and memory problems. It is important to know your signs and to find a good neurologist.
I understand your frustration in your doctors, we have the same problem. You need to find a neurologist and someone who treats stroke patients. My daughter is on Plavix and aspirin. The leading stroke hopital for children is in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. Which is the CHOPS. Google CHOPS. They have an excellent pediatric stroke program. We are currently trying to get help from them. Finding the right treatment and doctors can be very overwhelming, keep your head up!
Yes I had a big stroke and some small a consequence of a brain hemorrhage when I was just 19.  I was not exactly a teen but I was young.  
we need to have faith in god & take a good recovery after a mini or a full stroke, good healthy diet, try no to stress out & take everything easy. i had a mini stroke on my rightside brain 29 years old with 3 kids 2 months ago it was a horrible experience still recovering from & praying for all the people with this same bad experience. God will help you.
My daughter had a stroke in Sept 2010. I am desperate to talk with someone else who is dealing with a teen (she's 17) who's experienced a stroke. She is also on Plavix and aspirin.