Stroke Community
Can small strokes mimic Multiple Sclerosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I have been having MS like symptoms for over a year and a half now.  I've had evoked potentials, spinal tap, MRI's and bloodwork ruling many many things out.  I have four small periventricular white matter lesions 1-2mm. in size.  I recently changed neurologists and he basically said that it is either small strokes or MS so he ordered an echocardiogram w/ bubble study of my heart.  It turns out I have a small hole in my heart and now he wants to do further heart tests...a tee.  He thinks I could be having small strokes. My symptoms come and go.  Tingling, numbness, burning pains, vibration feelings, pain in my face, aching arms and legs, weakness in my legs, etc.  My symptoms seem very consistant with MS but now there is this possibility. Can these also be stroke symptoms? I'd already prepared myself for the eventual diagnosis of MS but now I am hoping that is not the case...but I don't want to get too excited about this yet.  Has anyone else dealt with this type of thing?  I am 30 years old and started having symptoms in 2004 at 28.  MY evoked potentials and spinal tap were both normal as well.  All that has showed up are the lesions and the hole in my heart.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have had silmilar symptoms.. tingling in extremities, burning, vibrating pain, and numbness in arms. It comes and goes. I havent been to a doctor yet, as I wanted to see if its just a virus that will go away, but now I also have a dull headache most of the time, and occasional pain at the temples which last for a few seconds, but are painful. I am going to see a doctor next week. Let me know how everything is going with you.
I am 26 years old with 2 young kids.  4 months ago life was great.  Then I began having symptoms:  drunken-walk, unsteady balance, right side numbness, vision disturbances, weakness in left leg, and handwriting in left hand is horrible.  After an MRI it turns out that I have a pineal tumor (might be cystic) and I have "hyperintensity" in the cerebellum.  The report says that I possibly suffered from a small stroke or that I have a demyelinating disease.  My neurologist has me on steroid injections because he thinks I have MS.  Trouble is, he isn't even looking at other possibilities and he's never actually seen the scans, just the report.  HMMM.  Keep me posted and I will be thinking of you.

Lisa
When I went into hospital with sudden right sided numbness, confusion, pins and needles, burning sensation in face etc they discussed TIA and MS. MS was ruled out first. The symptoms can be very similar. PFO cannot cause MS but can cause TIA and stroke. Do a quick google. Have you discussed having the PFO repaired?
You poor soul. That's such a lot to deal with at 26 especially with little ones to think about. Did your symptoms come on suddenly? Is there anyway you can get a 2nd opinion? I've found it frightening that every doctor I've come into contact with thinks something different.... it's not very reassuring is it......
How how you been since your last post?
Best of luck
Fiona