Stroke Community
Cerebellar Stroke - problem with eyes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cerebellar Stroke - problem with eyes

A friend of mine age 33 had a cerebellar stroke two weeks ago. They are in intensive care on a ventalater and can not speak yet. The last few days they  have been off the ventalater and sat out of bed a couple of hours a day.  The concern I would like help with is the eyes. They  have been told they have nerve damage, they can see some ones feet at about 20 feet away or to the side and things high but nothing close up or straight infront of them.
Has anybody had this problem and what will the out come be?  Is it called Midline shift and can anything be done to correct this. I would be very gratfull for any help.
Many Thanks  
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.
Damage to the cerebellum can impair the ability to coordinate looking in the same direction. Both the brainstem and cerebellum play a role in sensation. Damage to these areas can lead to loss of feeling, which makes blinking difficult and causes blurry vision or visual problems. As the vision perception problems are caused by lack of muscle control, various exercises geared toward building up muscle control can be effective. Training and therapy can restore awareness to the neglected area within the field of vision. With this his vision should improve.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Stroke Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank