Stroke Community
Chronic cough after stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Chronic cough after stroke

I had a mild stroke about 4 years ago and since then have had a chronic cough with a lot of mucous, especially after eating.  The neurologist noted that the right side of my throat doesn't move.  I just found this out several days ago.  Is
there anything that can be done to stop the coughing?  Medicines do not help.   I pull muscles in my neck back and stomach sometimes because I cough so violently.
It seems we are in the same boat. My stroke was in Feb 2011 and I'm still coughing. No one has any answers. I have looked all over the Internet and all I find is questions just like this with no responses. It is horrible for us to be sure, but equally horrible to have to listen to it from afar. I find bottles of water on my desk - as if I'm too stupid to think of that - from people either sympathetic or annoyed. I believe it has something to do with neural regeneration in the brain. Did you have a brain stem stroke? I had two now, the second much more severe, but the cough was from the first. Odd thing is now when I cough my a left arm and leg which were affected by stroke # 2 start shaking. Wish I had something to say that would help, except that you are not alone.