Chronic cough after stroke
I had a mild stroke about 4 years ago and since then have had a chronic cough with a lot of mucous, especially after eating.  The neurologist noted that the right side of my throat doesn't move.  I just found this out several days ago.  Is
there anything that can be done to stop the coughing?  Medicines do not help.   I pull muscles in my neck back and stomach sometimes because I cough so violently.
It seems we are in the same boat. My stroke was in Feb 2011 and I'm still coughing. No one has any answers. I have looked all over the Internet and all I find is questions just like this with no responses. It is horrible for us to be sure, but equally horrible to have to listen to it from afar. I find bottles of water on my desk - as if I'm too stupid to think of that - from people either sympathetic or annoyed. I believe it has something to do with neural regeneration in the brain. Did you have a brain stem stroke? I had two now, the second much more severe, but the cough was from the first. Odd thing is now when I cough my a left arm and leg which were affected by stroke # 2 start shaking. Wish I had something to say that would help, except that you are not alone.
I just stumbled upon this thread and was wondering if you have found any answers or relief? My mom had a stroke and heart attack 6 days apart (both major) and she has had a chronic cough since. We have talked to multiple Dr's, ENT, pulmonologist, tried allergy meds, reflux meds, switching meds to alternatives, nebulizer, sprays, cough syrup - nothing has worked. It's horrible. She complains of a tickle and then once she starts, it won't stop. It takes her breath away and her body shakes. Her cardiologist seems to think a cough is the least of her worries considering all that her body went through. But it's destroying her. She can't sleep and is afraid to go in public. We're setting her back up with speech therapy to see if they can find the issue.  She had issues swallowing but was able to get back on a normal diet. I'm scared she's going to break a rib and I don't k ow what I can do to help?