Stroke Community
Critical Illness payment after stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Critical Illness payment after stroke

Hi.  My husband had a relatively mild stroke nearly three weeks ago now.  He's 54.  He is progressing well but I can see many obvious symptoms remaining.  We had a critical illness policy which covers stroke and if this would pay out it would make the next few months a lot easier.  I have researched what we need to show the insurers but I am unsure how this is proved, and how they determine that the effects are permanent rather that temporary.  He is suffering from what I would describe as lethargy (sleeping for long periods and constantly tired, slow and lacking motivation to do anything) but I'm not sure whether they would take my word for that or it there is a test?  Also, he is complaining of his right side having difficulty swallowing - he says it's like he has to consciously make that side swallow.  Again, is there a test for this?  His speech is much better but still fairly slow and laboured with a slight lisp.  As a solicitor he relied on his voice to do his job, and at the moment with its speed and the fact he is having word finding difficulties, I don't know if he'll be able to do that work again.  His right side is still weak and 'tingly'.  He tried a few golf holes the other day and on the basis of this his handicap had doubled to the maximum allowed!   His co-ordination is also poor, which means he can't type except extremely laboriously (again essential for his job).  He is also unable to write properly, with the writing coming out absolutely tiny.  We've had to confiscate the television buttons too as he just can't manage to manipulate the buttons which was frustrating for him.  Has anyone been in a similar situation - I don't want to get my hopes up for a payout, but I can't see him being able to return to his former career and can't really make any plans until I have more information.  I hope you can help!
Is the only way to prove it is a "critical illness" is whether it is permanent, then you have quite a wait as it takes months and months to determine how much function will be gained back.  Three weeks ago is a slight time frame.  Haven't you gotten any advice from his doctors?  

After my stroke at age 56, I could not function on my right side, could not find words to speak, had difficulty understanding what was being said to me and had swallowing problems amongst other problems. After months of physical therapy I was able to function fairly well on my right side and speak well enough to give adult training sessions.  I hope that you pass on to your husband my experience, because otherwise he will get severe depression which is a whole another medical problem.

I would think that you would instead want your husband to get better so that he could go back to work, be able to golf and do other things.  I hope that you have some love for him instead of just wanting a payout from the insurance company.  And to get better he will need physical therapy and speech therapy.

It is a problem when people do not have adequate health insurance.  Hope for ObamaCare, or you will find out that no insurance company will ever cover your husband in the future at very big costs to you in the future.  

If indeed he is not able to work again, you could always apply for social security disability payments, but wouldn't you rather that he get better?