Stroke Community
Death from surgery after having a stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My sister had a stroke, was taken to the hospital and given 2 doses of blood thinners, at which point she was able to start moving her limbs, so she was showing signs of improvement. They said she had a blood clot and she had to have the surgery. Made it sound like she would die without it. And i don't understand that when she was showing signs of improvement. Anyway, after the surgery, she was put on life support, the doctor said her artery was too narrow and they didn't know it and doing the surgery caused it to rupture and they had to plug it to stop the bleeding and it caused blood to stop going to her brain. Her eyes were dilated and the doctor kept saying that worrried him. I could imagine so since she was already gone, but he says he's hoping one side of her brain will take over, which did not happen, further testing later that day showed she was completely brain dead. The doctor said he wished he hadn't done the surgery, that she would still be alive. They did it in hopes to stop any permanent damage, instead it killed her. I really fail to understand all this. Why the doctor acted like it had to be done, why they claimed she had a chance when there was none, why they would not realize an issue with a narrowed artery when that should be expected, why she was given two blood thinner shots before surgery, wouldn't that cause excessive bleeding? It's hard enough dealing with her being gone but not understanding why makes it even worse. She had a MRI on her brain that morning and that night, had the stroke. I fail to understand why the hospital didn't take immediate action after the MRI. She had calcium deposits on her brain, had been having multiple symptoms for sometime that could indicate mini-strokes. Can anyone explain this to me so I can understand?