Stroke Community
Dementia/Alzheimer´s Long Term Care Options?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

It is time we put him in Long Term Care. We have looked at a ton of facilities here in southern California but, the problem is we can not afford any of them. We began doing some research on assisted living and long term care in Mexico since we are so close to the border. We have read great reviews and articles regarding this. This past weekend we visited a place called Residencia Lourdes Pacifica in Ensenada, it is a beachfront facility that specializes in Dementia/Alzheimer´s and is a quarter of the price of anything I found in Southern California. Does anyone know of this place or have any advice on this type of international care? Thank you and bless you all.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, understand your predicament. It’s difficult to decide, especially when cost restrictions are there. It’s sad that the number of people needing long term care is increasing, but the costs are rising too, and hence the payment options have narrowed. There is however insurance options available, the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Programs are designed to help protect enrollees against the high costs of long term care.  Otherwise like you mentioned there is the option of medical tourism. Medical tourism is patient movement from highly developed nations to other areas of the world for medical care, usually to find treatment at a lower cost.  So, you can decide what’s the best option.  Wishing you good luck. Regards.
Thank you very much.I did go and check it out and it was absolutely amazing! I wanted to let you all know that after making the trip down there which was as simple as could be, I was very satisfied with what I found, the facility, the care .. just everything. It looked like a vacation home more than a facility, when you entered you just felt a sense of being ¨¨home¨¨ with people who loved their job and loved the residents like it was their own family they were taking care of! The owner´s wife came by during my visit and had their small children with her and each of the children went to every single person their giving them hugs and love with drawings they had painted or some craft they made as if it were their own grandparents- I was so impressed with the volume of love felt within this place, I asked the director before I left if they might find room for me as well, he just laughed.

I still plan to speak with some of the other residents families, right now each person there is from the US in the beachfront facility, the facility downtown has more Spanish speaking staff I believe which would most likely mean Mexican residents would be most comfortable there. However, the one I saw was owned and operated by American nurses who spoke only English so I was comfortable with that. I still have a lot to think about but if anyone has any experience in International care I would love to hear from you. Thank you again.
I've read about this somewhere and it's true that Mexico is a good option for people who are looking for affordable long term care services. A lot of reputable facilities can be found there and when it comes to healthcare professionals, they're simply one of the best, very hospitable and caring. You'll never have a problem if you decide to let him stay in a facility in Mexico.
I've heard a lot of people having problems paying for long term care and this is because they chose not to plan early and purchase long term care insurance. Sure it's cheap to retire in Mexico but it would be much better if you can age in your own soil. Just my two cents. If you want to avoid this predicament, better start planning now and read about ltc insurance here:

http://www.aaltci.org/long-term-care-insurance/

http://longtermcare.gov/costs-how-to-pay/what-is-long-term-care-insurance/

http://www.ltcoptions.com/long-term-care-insurance/