Stroke Community
Dizziness and Balance Coordination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Dizziness and Balance Coordination

I am a 42 yr old female. I had a mild stroke on Jan 10, 2013 I  have had severe dizzines and balance problems since the stroke happend  I wanted to know if anyone has had these syptoms (symptoms) after a stroke and if so how long do they last mine has been going on since I had my stroke. I am so scared that I will not go back to normal.
I am 48 and suffered 2 strokes in dec 2010. I have had the dizziness and balance problems like you are experiencing and found that over time they decrease gradually. Have you mentioned this to your GP. I would be interested in their reply.
I don't know how bad your dizziness and balance problems are.  You should get physical therapy to help it.  The sooner the better, since the most progress is achieved in the first 6 months, but small improvement can occur years later.  Everyone is different.  My stroke was 4.5 years ago, and I have never regained my handwriting ability.  I still have difficulty with balance and walking, and that was after months and months of physical therapy during the first 6 months and then again a year later.  But I am far far better than I was originally because of the physical therapy.   So don't assume that you will go back to normal without any help.  Maybe or maybe not.