Stroke Community
Do bruises on skin mean that Plavix actually does it's work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My relative takes Plavix for nearly a year now, and notices many small bruises that started to appear mostly on the limbs over the course of a few months. The doc said that this might actually mean that Plavix is doing it's job and preventing blood clots and that reflects as bruises on the skin but comes mostly from the brain... Is that possible? Since everywhere else I read it says that bruises from a blood thinners/Plavix are a side effect and isn't welcome...

I greatly appreciate any info, thank you in advance!
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

The commonest side effect of therapy with plavix is bleeding, it causes epistaxis (bleeding from nose), hematuria (urine) and bruising (skin). So, ask her to have a PT time, bleeding and clotting time done, along with platelet count. And if needed to adjust the dosage, as per her doctors instructions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.