Stroke Community
Father had storke after horrible bacterial infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My father was rushed to the hospital on Jan. 27, 2012 for unknown infection.It turned out to be something called Gram Negative bacilli. We were told his chance of survival was 1%. His body went into septic shock, every organ was failing. Miraculiously he survived and beat the infection. However, because of high fevers and all the different medications he was given he suffered a ischemic stroke to the back left side of the brain.  He was in a medically induced coma, on Propfol for 2 weeks. When he finally woke up is when we discovered he had a storke. My husband had actually mentioned to the nurse on the second day he was in the hospital it looked like he was having a stroke. Apparently she did nothing. I am soooo mad. Anyway, here we are a month later and he is alive but the stroke was a major one. He is very combative, restless, and does not follow commands. His right side is a little paralyzed, which it was not 2 weeks ago when he woke up. I am 3 hrs from where he is so trying to get everything done over the phone is hard. I am actually fighting to get him transferred up by me in the Los Angeles area. I need all the help I can get. Does anyone have suggestions? He seems to settle down a little when my step mom or myself go to see him. He has had tears come down his face on a number of occasions when we are there. We talk to him and hold him as much as we can. He then because angry and combative and is all over the bed. They had to restrain him to the bed. I had a trach and Peg tube put in him two weeks ago and he is tolerating them well. Is there hope? Sometimes I feel guilty because I authorized the life support for him. What sort of qulity of life can he have? Once they are combative does it ever get better?
Feel lost and hopeless in LA
Gina