Stroke Community
Feeling guilty for provoking a stroke.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Feeling guilty for provoking a stroke.

Hi god day to all. Im writting because my ex-girlfriend (early 30's) had a hemoprragic stroke a few weeks. I was with another person (from the church) and with her talking about why our relationship didnt worked, when the stroke ocurred (about 5 minutes after the start of the conversation. (i was the one that went with her to the hospital and saw everything (worst day of my life), and i was with her family the first two days. However she is recovering really well (as i know (she can talk a lot better, she can walk with a walker, and move everything (only in less than three weeks), because her familiy doesnt want me to know about her anymore). The problem is that some part of her family are saying (directly to me) that im the guilty of what happen to her. They says that the day that she ended the relationship, i said some things that were too strong for her (anyway i never rised my voice i never said a bad word, i only said what i think were the reason about how the relationship didnt worked (for example that she never talked about the problems (i said her coward for that) and that he always remeber all the bad things that her familiy caused and that i caused). The pesrons says that after that day she developed high blood pressure (and she went to the doctor but the doctor didnt send her no medications only a few tests). 4 days after that day (that we end the relationship) the stroke ocurred. I feel in some way so guilty because i know she had a lot  of stress from her work and familiy during the last month (also some health issues, like headache, tachycardia, varicose veins), and i said strong words to her that day... But the family is only talking about that i was the guilty.. for that..  So one person can cause a stroke? I talked to a phsycoligist and she said that the discussion had elevated the blood pressure, but it need to be a long time with blood pressure for that to happen (because if not everyone will have a stroke when a bad situation occurs). So i need some opinions about that and how to handle the threats of her family because im really bad about the situation i cant see her familiy because of fear on how they will react and also i cant know about her.. is realy realy bad... Thank..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

From what I gather, she had been having high blood pressure, and uncontrolled pressure could have triggered the stroke. She could have been having TIAs prior to that. TIA or transient ischemic attack, which as the name indicates there is a temporary lack of blood flow to a particular part of the brain. This usually recovers, but these people are more prone for strokes. So, don't stress yourself that you had triggered the stroke. Glad to see she is doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.