Stroke Community
For the ladies...Asprin therapy and menstral cycles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

FOr the ladies...I was wondering if any of you ladies who are on asprin therapy had a change in your cycles and bleeding. I was dx with an ovarian mass 2 months after my TIA. My cycles have been very heavy since being on the aspirin and my Gyno says it is because of the ovary but I wondered if any of you had any changes on aspirin. I don't want to have unneeded surgeries for the bleeding if it due to the TIA treatment, but how do we know!?   Thanks, Cindi
Good question!  I had that same question just over a year ago.  I was having 2 cycles a month for over a year, and was told it wasn't my Aspirin therapy.  I ended up having a laperoscopy, D&C, and a hysteroscopy to check everything out.  I did have a small cyst on my ovary, but they don't think that really caused the problems.  However since then, I don't have 2 cycles a month anymore. But my cycles are closer together than they use to be, and still much heavier.  I pass many clots as well.  I tend to think it is related to the aspirin, but I don't know that there is really any way to tell, unless you go off it for a long period of time, which isn't safe.  Best thing to do is see your doctor and consider the other possibilities.  Good luck, and keep us updated!
I am also on aspirin and noticed the same symptoms...one thing to try is to take ibuprofen instead of aspirin for the first few days of period, it definitely makes them lighter. You can't take them together.
Thank you for your comments regarding the effect asprin may have on our moon cycles, confirming my thoughts.  Because I experience Crohn's condition in my GI tract, I cannot take ibuprofen.  I have chosen Extra Strenth Bufferin for pain relief.  I too am experiencing increased volume and thinner blood.  Many Blessings. VMV
Wow, I guess I never put two and two together but now that you mention it.  Since my stroke, I've been on a daily baby aspirin and my periods have been the heaviest that they have ever been - I couldn't leave the house because it was so heavy.  It never occured to me that aspirin was it.  But, the daily aspirin is what my Doc told me to never, ever miss.  So I guess I deal with it.  To C.F.  - be careful about advising people to not take their aspirin.  Always talk to your doc first before changing your meds.
I had a TIA on March 5th.  I just turned 49, I'm beginning menopause and have a wacky cycle!  I got my period last Monday and have had a week long period.   Harder than it's been in years!  I take one regular aspirin a day.  I think it's from the aspirin myself, but am going to the doctor on Friday for a follow up on the TIA.  Guess I'll ask her then!
I'm 50 and am usually like clockwork every 28 - the whole period never lasts more than four days. Now I have been diagnosed with hypertension and was told to take aspirin daily, my period won't stop. I'm tempted to stop the baby aspirin because I'm sick of being on my period. Of course it's making me irritable too.