Stroke Community
Hair loss after stroke?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Hair loss after stroke?

I had a stroke  a month ago due to a dissection in my right carotid.  I was fortunate that I caught my stroke early enough that I was able to get tPA and have the MERCI procedure.  Within a week of coming home from the hospital, my hair started falling out in clumps.  About 1/4 of my head is completely bald and it's located in the back on the right side - same side as the clot.  While in the hospital, I have had CTA's and MRI/MRA's.  My neuro says it's from the stress of what happened.  I was wondering if anyone else out there had any hair loss issues and if your Dr may have thought it was from meds?  Also, did the hair grow back.  I'm a 35 year old female and this hair loss really bothers me.
i am experiencing rapid hair loss and im depressed because doctors are confused about my symptoms.i had the stroke when i was 23 and now im 28 and i feel like a old lady. for the past 5 years i have been in pain everyday all day symptoms include tender spots that are sore,stiffness,severe hair loss, unrestful sleep, fatigue, deep depression,loss of libido, numbness, burning, pins and needles, dizziness, confusion, blank stares, almost complete loss of appetite, cahing, severe stabbing and shooting pains, more tired after sleep, piercing noises in ear, vision problems, pelvic pain, nausea, trouble controling urine, i really need a neuro doctor to asess my condition. i want a doctor who has a passion for helping patients with surviving stroke and has time to donate because it is alot i don't know about my condition and i need someone who understands my illness and that wants to help me. please help me.  elizabeth
My stroke was in aug.of 2007. I had a bleed on the right side of my brain although I didnt have any lingering effects ..my hair has become really unmanageableand I have a hard time making it look presentable.I had MRI's and CAT scans could they have caused this?

Since I posted this question, I had a follow up appt with my stroke doc (not the neuro).  Apparently my hair loss is a radiation injury caused from the MERCI retriver thing I had done in my brain.  Did you also have the MERCI?  My hair loss is quite significant and luckily I have been able to flip over my hair from the top to hide it.  I really wish my stroke doc would have given me the heads up so I would have been prepared.
I, too, had a stroke due to carotid arterial dissection in my neck on the right side, causing loss of left motor function, etc.  I am 35, and it was delayed, but I lost a lot of hair around the forth month after the stroke.  My anti-coag Doc said "that's expected around three to four months after" having a stroke....well thanks for the heads' up, Doc!  My hair was long and healthy and thick....
Now, over a year later I am still struggling with unmanageable hair, thinner and less of it.  I still am losing a lot of hair.  It's hard to know if it was due also to the medication (warfarin) I was on, or stress to my body, neurologically or all of the above.  I know it seems shallow to worry about hair after surviving near-death, etc, but the change has become frustratingly noticable for me and caused some insecurity.  The last thing I want to worry about is going bald!
I have been searching for information on the web about hair loss after a stroke. I had a subarachnoid hemorrhagic stroke from a brain aneurysm in January of 2010. I had an endovascular coiling treatment to stop the bleeding, and I have since had a repeat coiling procedure (in April) when it reopened. I did struggle with depression for a while (feeling better now, after much work), I still have headaches on and off, I am taking iron for the way my body responded to being on Plavix for a while, I had some other strange hearing and smell issues which have mellowed somewhat, and a few other things. The most disturbing thing now, though, is the hair loss.

At first I thought the hair loss was from radiation from all the CT scans and the arteriogram/angiogram, but that would have only been temporary. It is now September, and my hair (which is now very short) keep thinning. If it gets worse, I may just go Sinead (buzz cut). Has anyone found anything out about this? Are the coils in my head causing this? Is it just a typical brain trauma reaction?

Commiserating....
Joy
hi, i just had my 2nd stroke about a month ago, i was lucky because i didn't get any side effects such as paralysis, memory loss etc. I underwent the coiling procedure. now 2 weeks later i have started losing all my hair on the left side of my head (same side as the bleeding). Why did this happen? and will he hair grow back? im very worried because i will have to go back for another surgery to correct another stroke i had apparently had last oct in the right side of my brain.  i have also been looking for answers online but have found nothing!  did u manage to get any answers?
I had a carotid artery dissection stroke 3 years ago.  I also had a lot of CT scans with tons of radiation (I found out later) as well as MRI/MRAs.  I didn't get the tPA or MERCI.  But it wasn't until a few months later that i had gobs of hair falling out.  My specialist doctor gave me a whole bunch of blood tests to find out why, but they came out okay.  

Then my regular internal medicine doctor said that extreme emotional or physical stress can cause the hair to fall out.  Sure enough when my 24/7 migraines got better, the hair loss stopped and the hair grew back.  And when the migraines got worse, the hair loss came back.  
I am interested in what your symptoms were after your stroke and any continued disabilites now.  Only 5% of total strokes are carotid artery dissections which both of us had--mine over 3 years ago.  I still have weakness on one side of my body, some difficulty with words and still battling headaches and have had a whole crop of other medical difficulties since my stroke.