Headache after Stroke
My wife was hospitalized one week age today with right face numbness, right arm weakness.  A CT scan was preformed results were "Probable small (5mm) lacunar infarct adjacent to, or within, the left basal ganglia."  She was released from hospital following day.  She has had a very bad headache everyday  (constant) since the hospitalization.  Our Family Doctor has set up an appointment with a specialist  but that is two weeks away should we be concerned.

Hi sorry to hear about your wife.I have all so had a stroke,on my left side.Frontal paretiel lobe area,4-5 centimeter infarct lesion.I all so have head aches,every day,but I all so have a 6 centimeter blood clot on my cereberall artery,on the left side of my brain.The only advice I know to give you,is for your wife to stay calm,and use soothing warm cloths on the area of her head ache.I use a heating pad,but I am not suppose to because of the blood clot.I do not recommend using that treatment on your wife though.She all so doesn't need to be bending over,because that will cause severe pressure in her brain,which will cause head aches and dizzyness.Keep after her doctor,to get you in sooner with the specialist.Until then don't leave her by her self very long.When you do have to out for a long period of time,have her resting so that she will be in bed and not up.If she has weakness in her right arm and hand,get her a stress ball to use to strengthen her hand muscles back up.Take real good care of her and your self,she will need you more than ever now,don't let her down.I know you want because you posted on here for help,so you must care very much for her,she is a very lucky lady.TNT406.[Becky]
On Dec. 2, 2005, I suffered my first stroke ever and was hospitalized until Dec. 28, 2005. I have quit smoking, and believe I am over the nicotine withdrawal, but since my stroke, I have experienced constant headaches. Initially, the hospital offered me Tylenol, but it didn't help at all. Finally, they began giving me Ultram every four hours, which actually worked. They even sent me home with a prescription.I was very relieved until I learned that some people become physically and psychologically addicted to Ultram. Time passed, and my dosage was increased, but my headaches began to come back before I was due for another dose of Ultram. SO, today, I contacted my doctor and he prescribed me to Vicodin. I have been warned that my headaches may last for months more because they're a result of brain swelling. It's not practical for me to take pain pills all the time, but my headaches get so severe that I don't know what else to do. Any advice is welcome,
Young and tired of heaches in North Carolina
I had a brain stem stroke  5 years ago and among a lot of problems ,Iwas having severe headaches almost without breaks eventialy I was refered to a neurologist who diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia I was admitted to hospital for a few days for assessment and was perscibed 300mg of Gabapentin (Neurontin) thee times a day which seemed to have partialy solved the problem but later headaches still occured they then increased the dose to 600mg three times a day and and when needed could increase to 900mg this has stopped the worse headaches from occuring Gabapentin I believe was given for epilepsy but is now perscibed for pain caused by damage to the nerves hope this helps  ChasR
I had a brain stem stroke about a month or so ago and have headaches. I use to never have headaches. I am scared all the time now.
I suffered a stroke (bleeding in the thalamus) 6 months ago. Last week, I began to have severe pain in the back of my head on the left side. The stroke affected my right arm, hand, foot, and face. I am frightened by the pain. It keeps me awake at night and upset during the day. I will be 75 in a month -- if I make it. Can you help me?  What is causing this?  What should I do?  
You need a second opinion! Go to another doctor! My dad suffered a stroke on Dec 4, 2014. He was in the hospital until Dec 29 and then they released him out. The problem was that my dad was getting such a bad mirgraine that NO medication was working and he had 2 blood cloths in both legs. His legs were so swollen that they looked like they were going to exploded. So I called the BEST neurologist and spoke to one of them. He was so confused on why they were releasing him and thought he should stay in the hospital. He said that a headache could be a sign of more bleeding in the brain and  it was concerning to him as well for us too. So he said, I want to run tons of test on him and have him come back to the hospital so we could readmit him into the hospital.

It's always best to get a 2nd opinion! Don't go based 1 persons opinion because they are human and they make mistakes. Go to another doctor! You got nothing to lose!