Stroke Community
Help With Hemorrhagic Stroke Aftermath
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help With Hemorrhagic Stroke Aftermath

My 72 year old father suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke(right-side) on January 22, 2008.  His chances of surviving it were slim.  My dad has always been a strong-willed individual, a fighter, a real hero(retired Chicago Police Officer).  I knew in my heart he would make it, and he did.  He went from a 3 week stay in ICU, to a 3 week stay in acute rehab.  He is now in a skilled nursing facility doing rehab, where he will probably stay for the next couple of months.  He is constantly sleeping.  It seems like he sleeps about 18-20 hours/day.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get over this sleepiness?  He can talk fine, hasn't lost that ability.  I just wish he would stay awake more because I really miss talking with him.  Anybody out there with this similar problem?  I Can really use the support!!!!!!!