Help With Hemorrhagic Stroke Aftermath
My 72 year old father suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke(right-side) on January 22, 2008.  His chances of surviving it were slim.  My dad has always been a strong-willed individual, a fighter, a real hero(retired Chicago Police Officer).  I knew in my heart he would make it, and he did.  He went from a 3 week stay in ICU, to a 3 week stay in acute rehab.  He is now in a skilled nursing facility doing rehab, where he will probably stay for the next couple of months.  He is constantly sleeping.  It seems like he sleeps about 18-20 hours/day.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get over this sleepiness?  He can talk fine, hasn't lost that ability.  I just wish he would stay awake more because I really miss talking with him.  Anybody out there with this similar problem?  I Can really use the support!!!!!!!
Hi Dear,

Stroke is an injury to part of the brain. The symptoms of a stroke depend on what part of the brain has been injured. Every part of the brain has a different job.
Many patients have symptoms that are not specific to any particular part of the brain, like headache and sleepiness.
Many patients who have survived an episode hemorrhagic stroke have disorders of sleep and wake, which are related to the quality of life. Both the daytime sleepiness and problems sleeping at night has been reported in about one third of patients.
Recovery continues for years and patients develop good coping skills and a positive attitude toward their recovery, even when they experience ongoing problems.

Best.