Stroke Community
Hemorragic Stroke Therapy at Home
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hemorragic Stroke Therapy at Home

My husband is coming home from a care center on Wednesday after surviving a very serious hemmoraghic stroke. The stroke occurred June 28th. He was operated on that day and has been in  rehab skilled care for all this time. I am afraid I am not doing enough for him. He has atrial fibrillation and has been put back on coumadin. He walks with a walker, but is unbalanced and may  fall causing another stroke.  A gait belt is used to steady him when he walks. He is overweight, tall, and suffers from diabetes. He has regained much of his speech ( occasional aphasia), his right hand has ataxia, but is not paralyzed. He is still vital and seems quite strong. His attitude is very good and hopeful. And his mind seems to have retained memory and intelligence.  
His time with skilled medicare was terminated on the 11th of Nov. We appealed with no positive results sadly.  If he now stayed in a care center we would be left to cover a very hefty daily bill that we absolutely cannot afford. Also a stay at the nursing home as private pay would not give him enough therapy to keep him progressing, but would give him room and board and safety.
I was told by his surgeon that his progress would be most effective between 6 months to
one year.
How to best help him? Is there any organization that helps stroke victims that perhaps I havae not heard of? Is there any hospital in the United States that specializes in rehabilation for survivors of such a stroke?