Stroke Community
Hemorrhagic Stroke - age 48

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Hemorrhagic Stroke - age 48

My brother just had a stroke 6 days ago and has been in the ICU ever since. He initially tried to pull out his IV's when he came to so they put him in restraints.  The doctor said he has good symmetry and muscle response - no paralysis as of yet.  An angiogram revealed there was no aneurism (aneurysm), which leads us to think this was a hemorrhagic stroke.  As of today my brother can respond in almost a semi-conscious/dream-state to simple questions (ex. what is your name?) and he is being spoon-fed.  

The doctor said his blood is pooling on the lobe (don't know which one) and will take another 2 to 3 weeks to go down.  After that they can do an MRI to find the exact cause of the bleed.

The doctor also said my brother hadn't really slept for 48 hours even though he was sedated but is sleeping now.  He is a chronic drinker and has high blood pressure which seem to be the contributing factors to his stroke.  I've been reading a lot on the internet and truly appreciate everyone sharing information.

My family and I are wondering if this timetable sounds right: 3 - 4 weeks in ICU; another 3-4 weeks in the neuro ward, then a few more weeks in the hospital before going to a nursing home/therapy center or perhaps home.  We're also praying that he is "out of the woods" at this point and is now on the long road back to recovery.

I'm also very curious if anyone has any insights into whether my brother would understand that his family is visiting him at this point.  Do you think he'll remember us talking to him?  We want to make sure he knows he is not alone.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thank you.