Stroke Community
Hemorrhagic Stroke Recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Viewing 201-210 comments:
My mom suffered a severe hemorrhagic stroke a little over three years ago.  This was her second stroke, but the second one has really debilitated her.  Her left side is still paralyzed, so walking and everyday living is harder.  She has undergone a lot of therapy and in May she was walking pretty well, overall feeling pretty good and excited about her recovery.  As of about a month ago she has been having a hard time walking again and is pretty wobbly, really wears out easier than normal, as well as has fallen or come close several times.  Does anyone know why the change in recovery all of a sudden?  Will it go back to the way it was or is this just a debilitation that has to be lived with?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
My mom had a stroke 6 days ago. she had a stroke to the left side of the brain. she is still not woke yet. She has a feeding tube and a breathing tube. She is 56 years old and has a pace maker. Before the stroke she was still working and was happy. It happened so fast I dind't have a chance to say anything to her. the doctors are giving us no hope. We have faith in God that's all we have. All we can do is sit and wait.
my wife 47 years old, suffered a massive stroke last week on the left side of her brain; 90% effected (she had a stroke on the right side 7 years ago but was mostly recovered).  she has complete paralysis on the right side and no cognitive comprehension.  the doctors say therapy won't be of any use because she can't understand or speak.  we are not sure if she recognizes us...  can anyone tell me if their loved one has made progress from a similar condition? and if so what can we expect?
my dad has just had amassive stroke on the left side of the brain i would like to no if anybody has been told the whole left side is damaged. how long can it take to recover or if he ever will hes 50 years old fit n healthy its so confusing
Thank you for sharing your stories of recovery and how encouragement and positive feedback can help so much.  My grandpa had a stroke last week and was given almost a death sentence a couple of days ago.  We prayed and stayed with him around the clock and gave him praise.  Yesterday he opened both eyes and squeezed my hand to answer my questions.  He knows exactly who I am.  Today, his great grandaughter (my daughter) got to see him for the first time (She is 3) and my grandpa gave her the BIGGEST smile.  I am in tears as I write this.  Thank you again for posting positive stories:)  My grandpa has a special place in my heart.
Hello everyone,

My uncle, 44 year old went to the hospital because he complained about a strong pain in his left arm. At the hospital they discovered that he had 4 blockages to his heart and needed a bypass heart surgery. The bypass surgery was done on October 18th, 2011. Everybody thought he would be fine and will be totally normal as most people are after that surgery. Anyways, the hospital staff tried to wake him up over the next couple of days, and every time he was conscious and alert, they claimed he was being aggressive with hand movements. In fear of that, they sedated him and put him meds for the next 2 or 3 days so, he slept most of the time. After about 6 days after the surgery they said he needed a surgery in his throat to better his breathing. Following that surgery, the next day when attempting to wake him up, they discovered he had a stroke. to the left side of his brain because of blood clot. His brain started to swell. He was air lifted to another hospital in Cleveland Ohio, where the did a surgery on his left side of the brain to alleviate brain swelling. His is currently in Icu on ventilator in stable condition. The doctor his advised us that his left side of brain, that constitutes the speech and right side of the body has been severely damaged about 70-80%. He is paralyzed in right side and they dont know if he will ever sit up and talk again. Over the last couple of days, he has been opening his eyes and moving his left arm and hands more frequently.  2 days ago I told his to squeeze my hand and he did and he also raised his left hand when I told him to do, but today he was not really responding. The doctors don’t know if he is following commands at this stage. Everybody has been praying for his recovery but, the doctors are very discouraging. I have been researching Stroke recovery blogs and they have been certainly been very positive, encouraging and informative.   Can anyone please shed some more light as to how will the recovery be for a patient who suffered sever ischemic  stroke and what are the chances of him making progress on right side of his body and speaking again? He is been in ICU for about 2 weeks now and will be transferred to rehab centre in about a week. Any Response will be greatly appreciated. God bless all.
Hi Everyone.  My mother suffered a severe stroke 2 days before Halloween.  She is 45 years old.  She needs a feeding tub and cannot move her right side.  After a week and half she is now able to say a few words or tries to mouth words.  She can nod yes or no, but doesn't not always understand what you are asking.  She is not yet able to move on her own.  I am only 24 years old and just recently graduated from college. I have to make all the decisions for my mother's care on my own which is very hard.  She is my best friend and it's hard to accept that she may never be the same.  I can't wait for the day when she'll be able to talk once again and I'll be able to understand what she is trying to say.  I'm really scared and can't stop crying.  I want my mother back.   I am trying to stay positive for her, but it's hard doing this on my own.  She is in a Rehab hospital right now.  I hope her insurance provider will allow her to stay there as long as possible (and not send her home before she is ready).  Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help her?
My dad at the age of 48 (just turned 48 Nov 12, 2011) just had a massive stroke, not for sure where the bleeding is but they said it was a slight bleed. This happened the Saturday after thanksgiving about 2am....he was eating when it happened and he got choked on his food and was not taken to the hospital for about an hour and a half. He has been in a coma since then. He will respond to yes or no questions, squeeze your hand, ect. He is on a vent with a trache in. The doctors said we should quit feeding him and unplug his machine, mind you he still feels any and all pain. He is breathing on his own with the vent as a back up.Has anyone ever had this happen? and how long did it take to heal if so?
hello everyone,

my brother at 48 suffered a hemorrhage stroke on the right side a week before thanksgiving. He is currently on a feeding tube was on a vent but now he is breathing on his own and has a trah.  It is now six weeks and he is still none responsive, he opens his eyes and looks straight ahead; blinks his eyes and yawn. he wont squeeze your hand or do anything. He is still in the icu unit awaiting a bed at a nursing home that will accept a trah patient. we are praying that he will recover from this has anyone every had a loved one that eventually recovered from these details that i have given.  The hospital has given up on him but the family beleives he is strong and will come back to us.  He did pull himself up when they took the trah out and we were telling him that it was time for us to leave once visiting hours were over.
HI, I'm a 46 yr old male who on Nov. 12th had a right side hemorrhagic stroke. And as I read d these stories I know that mine could have been worse. I had a 2.9 cm rupture and lost feeling on my entire left side (I'm a lefty) a quarter of my field of vision on my left side and am generally tingly on my left side from head to toe. When it first happened I couldn't move my left leg or arm but regained it's use and coordination two days later while still in the hospital. I'm still weak on my lft but can walk short distances w/o walker or cane. just need to stay near a wall or something as my balance is not fully returned. Unfortunately, I have a number of other health issues. Heart disease, Pulmonary disease, Hypertension, sleep apnea, GERDs just to name a few. I am trying to stay positive but it's hard. I go to Moss in Philadelphia twice a week and am praying for maximum recovery. I know that my faith is what will keep me and support me as I go through this.
Still holding on...
CJ
Dear Cynt, my name is Sonya, I read your comments and other people too may be you can give me some advice. I am so devastated. My husband had severe hemmorrhagic stroke on 9/26/2011, he was on cumadin (coumadin). He was brouhgt to the Hospital, had sugery in 24hrs, because he was on cumadin (coumadin) they coudn,t perform right away. It 3 months passedalready, he still has feeding tube, he is able to seat on the reclaining chair, he is talking , but it's incoherent. They stopped doing physical and occupational therapy, because they said he is not follow comands. He stays at nursing center rehab. I hire physical therapist who is doing range of motion with my husband and relaxed his exremities nicely. Some times my husband makes eye contact, but very short, I am not sure he recognases me or not. I , my family members friends  try to talk to him, some times he is watching pictures in computer. I read about med- choline, in Europe and other countries people use a lot. It improves metabolism in brain. I order on line, the name of this -Ceraxon, it does not approved by FDA, but they sell here as a "food" for the brain. Anybody had experience with Ceraxon? Plese fell free to read it. I wish to here some good news, but nobody can tell me about prognosis. It,s so horrible. Have a good New Year to everyone.
hello my dad is 65 yrs old always been very healthy and active and he just had a stroke on dec 16th 2011 while driveing a car he hit a bridge he had a hemorriage stroke also and we have been threw a lot in the past 3 weeks he has been to rehb 2 times and back to nero icu 3 times.  He also got septic shock and almost died the doctors told us he would not make it . He is now doing well still in hospital but in a reg bed and room doing lots better and i just prayed and prayed ever day that it was not his time to go meet god. I love my dad and i have no one else in my life either.  I still need my dad and my children need there grandpa. We are not threw it all and he has no right side use so far of his arm or leg he also talkes all messed up but i just keep praying for more and more of a recovery
I had a small 1.4 x1.4 cm hemorhage 11 weeks ago.  The major thing effected was my speech and face muscles on the right side. I had some right hand clumbsiness and weakness that passed after a month or so

My speech is coming back SLOWLY. I am 42,  has anyone had speech recovery after 11 weeks ?  Iw ould estimate my speech is about 85% of normal, I also struggle more withmy speech if I get nervous ( talking toa person I don't know) or if am on the phone

Reading these  stories I know I was very lucky
Forget what doctors says. Believe me , doctors just talk about their safe side. They wanna project the worse case scenario and later take credit as patient recover from that stage. I had gone through same thing when my dad were in hospital 4 months back Sept,11. doctor told he would not be able to move his arm or leg at all. After 4 month my dad is able to do his stuff by his own, able to walk, about 60% back to normal while doctors were not even expecting him 20% being normal.
no one can answer, its just time and you need to be optimistic and have lot of patience it will be fine after few months...GOD bless you.
My  best friend suffered a hemorrhagic stroke on Valentines Day 2010.  The stroke left her with left side paralysis, inability to control movements, problems with speech, inability to care for herself, immobility, inability to get up and out of the house in the winter.  To make matters worse, her husband and sole caregiver, has an alcohol abuse problem - (no doubt mad worse by the stress), which makes my friend fear his inability to care for her.  As a "cherry on the top of the sundae", her insurance company filed for bankruptcy in Ohio and her policy was taken over by another that covers virtually nothing , no rehabilitative services and Medicare that will not kick in until August 2012.  I feel terrible for her but I am in another  state and have basically no idea about getting help for her in Ohio.  My fear is that  as a result of laying in bed 24/7 and no rehabilitation for a protracted period of time, she will never regain her independence or at least some semblance of it.  Any Ohio folks out there that can offer help?

On 09/23/08, I suffered a massive Cerebral Hemorrhagic Stroke. I fell unconscious and into a Coma. My Girlfriend rushed me to the Hospital where they Diagnosed my situation. My Doctor told my family what was happening, and that I was not expected to survive the night. I was rushed to a "Stroke Center". for immediate treatment.

The next day, when I remained alive, my family was told to not be happy about my survival, that I would probably, now,  be an invalid, in need of constant care.

When I came out from the Coma, I was "alright". I had some vision issues, which have cleared up over time. I had severe short term memory loss, which also has cleared. I am 48 years old, I am an IT Professional and a Martial Arts Practitioner.  I had to relearn how to walk, of course, and will soon (hopefully) receive the certification I need to begin teaching Self Defense classes, once more.

Fast reaction/treatment and prayer is all I had going for me. I do not and have never smoked or been a drinker. I think that provided me with greater "strength" than most have.  Not a day goes by that I do not thank God for sparing me the fate I frequently read, and seems most common to others, stricken by this killer.

I thought someone may like to know that all is not (automatically) lost, if/when Stroke strikes.

Thank you for reading.

Keith Buckner
***@****

My father suffered a brain aneurysm( SAH) followed by a stroke on Jan, 15 2012.  It is now over 6 weeks from the day of his aneurysm. He was in ICU for about a month and after that he was sent to another hospital for long term acute care.  He opened his eyes about three weeks ago but has no sign of response.  His situation have been really upsetting and frustrating for us and specially for my mom.  I was wondering if anyone have been in this situation before and could give us some idea of how long we should be waiting before we get any response from him.
Any comment will be greatly appreciated!

Alaleh  
my brother whom has a stroke nov 2011 the hospital requested to put a trach in to get him off the vent and a few day after putting the trach in they were searching for a nursing home that would except a pt with a trach and that is medicaid pending which they the case managers stated that the closest nursing home that would accept him was 183 miles away which is a 3 1/2 hour drive away.  Because he was not working at the time of his stroke and he only qualified for medicaid which was pending and he was in the hospital for at least 60 days and they had to dump him because medicaid would not pay for services past a certain amount of days.  The case manager informed me and my family that the doctor said that he has discharged him that the hospital that was miles away was ready to accept him which i had called around and that there were other nursing homes that was close that was willing to accept my brother but needed time to get the paper work approved but the hospital was not will to wait and we were told either we accept that nursing home facility or take him home,. we was forced to accept the nursing home that was miles away because we all which is another sister and brother work two jobs and was not able to care for him at home.  The other nursing home that he was sent to capital house in baton rouge was not a good facility for my brother he has very bad bed sores; and because he only qualified for medicaid he did not receive any pt;ot or speech theraphy. he cannot use his right side and his right arm is stuck by his trach is secretion is always on his hands. his right leg has sores as well. they has even put restraints on his left hand stating that he was fighting the nurse and i'm stll trying to imagine how can a man that is extreamly weak and only has use of his left hand fight someone. Medicaid will not pay to transfer your loved ones to another nursing home they only pay to transfer you if you need to be sent to the hospital.  and if you decide that you would like to try to take care of your loved one at home when you do call medicaid you find out that the waiting liste is backed up from 2008. We will never give up on my brother and we will continue to fight for his care and his recovery.  God bless everyone
hi shirish, my father had a left side brain stroke 4 months back. He now opens his eyes but has no cognizance. he has slight left limbs movement. i want to discuss about therapies. Please Please help.
How is your dad?  My uncle just had the same stroke as your dad 3 months ago.  He is still the same.

I just read your post and of all the post on this site, your hit home the most.  I just went through the same thing.  My mother had a stroke on Mothers day, and was in a coma for two weeks with nothing but "reflexes".  Her eyes were dialated the entire time, which per the doctors was very concerning.  She was in the medical field for many years and had made it clear she did nt want to be cared for.  So we decided (toughest decision ever) to remove the breathing support...3 days later she passed.  I feel so awful inside as well...not only have I lost my mom but I feel this awful guilt of giving up on her.
I hope you are better emotionally after these few years.
My wife had a massive stroke (age 64) bleeding on the brain on her right side. The doctors had to put a shunt (sp?) in her skull to relieve the pressure. Unfortunately, due to extreme high blood pressure she had two additional strokes while in ICU. Following three weeks of being in the intensive care unit, the Palliative Care Team described her best case scenario for recovery which would have not been what my wife wanted...so my daughter and I had to make the very difficult decision to start end of life procedures. She died 3 days following that decision.  
My wife's biggest challenge was not taking care of herself including keeping her blood pressure regulated, improper diet, continued smoking when advised not to, et cetera.  We have all been in tremendous pain since her passing.
Good luck to all who have endured such a serious illness with a loved one.
Hi i realize this comment is years maybe even longer for some. I'm 55 yrs old,
had 5 Aschemic Strokes 1 Heart Attack,  1 Hemorrhagic Stroke, And diagnosed a Chronic Hypertensive after the Hemorrhagic Stroke. I was a mess Loss Vision, Hallucinated, Tired all the time, weak right and left Arms and Legs. Numbness in left foot and hand. No warning. Happen in parking lot of a mega store, 5/6/09. Speech was fine, swallowed good however no appetite all I craved and wanted was Lemon Icy, I could not get enough.

I NOW,WALK,  without help, some times I get dizzy and want Company just in case I trip and Fall. On rare occasions I did. I did go to PT only for 4 months. Prior 4 MONTH IN HOSPITAL getting good physical Therapy from PTherapist that really cared about my recovery. If you don't feel comfortable with the person working on your recovery will be very slow, Why. Because now your Brain has to do more work, worry about your not feeling right to begin with now you have to try to concentrate on someone you know does not have your best interest in mind and you cant do anything about it at the moment because you never been in this position before, so you humble for lack of knowledge until you can change things. That alone is what I called, motivational moments to become independent just so you can at least ask for better help or leave to get help. Also, Love made me feel better you can really feel Love in this state. Furthermore, Looking better played much in recovery it reminded me of normal activities as a women, and when I started to remember about my looks I looked at myself and looked terrible, a Stroke physically changes your looks, MY Feet even shrunk 2 sizes, No Doctor could explain that. My recovery techniques was based around The Love Feeling and it did not always come from family, not because they were unloving but sometimes love comes from unfamiliar people. Watch everything and only do what your Brain can do, I Know you get tired, but until your brain gets stronger, rest when your done. Sleep is healing.  But, challenge your body, because it lies to you. It will try to make you feel like you cant do something. how ever you must fight and try hard with specialized help or someone you trust around you. But never give up! do 1 move today the second move the next, then the next day do two moves back to back it will make you feel better. NOW your improving, thats what you and your loved ones want. Try it. I prayed a lot that helps to! God Bless you. When you get better help someone else who has experienced this tramatic episode.  NOTE; I've accepted where I am and it could be worst. Get and stay Healthy. Research your own problems. No one is the blame. ACCEPT our body responding to what we didi to it unknowing . Thanks for reading. This is for everyone.... LyfeSpirit.
My mom is 51 and had a subarachnoid hemmorage aneurysm and the doctors at UCSF were not positive that she would survive because of how dangerous the hemmorage was. Thanks to God, she made it out of the surgery and she is doing so much better already. It has been about 3 weeks and she has been out of bed cooking and cleaning. She noticed that one side of her neck is starting to swell and we are concerned! Does anyone know what it could mean?
My mother is 79 years old and a little over 3 weeks ago suffered a severe stoke followed by massive haemorrhaging in the brain as a result of introducing a catheter into the artery with the blockage in order to unblock it. Doctors  didn´t think she would survive. Three weeks on she is still alive and is stable although in a semi-coma. Doctors give us little or no hope and they say she can´t go to a rehabilitation program because she can´t understand commands. After reading this blog I´m certainly more hopeful. We are looking to move into a nursing home where she can receive at least physiotherapy and OT if she recovers some cognitive capability. I certainly hope I can post that she has improved significantly shortly.
Hi My Nephew had the same thing 5 days ago they are telling us he will either have weakness in the left side of his body or total paralyses. If you get to read this can you please give me an update and tell me is there any change? Can my nephew get back to normal he is only 18 and we are all very worried
I had the same kind of stroke that affected me on the same side also in the same year October 2007 so I kind of know what he's going through. My name is Gloria Johnson I was 45 yrs old when all this happen doing alot better now still have numbness and arm and leg still paralzed but i'm alive be patience show kindness and love you will see a change
I am Debbi and my dad had a massive brain bleed at end of July 2012. That day he was scheduled to go on a 10 mile bike ride with my sisters. They found him to be not at home as he had been taken to ER and was continuing to bleed into the brain. Apparently, 2 weeks prior, they had put him on one of the newest blood thinners (like Pradaxa) and they were unable to stop or reverse the blood thinner effect. He was in great pain in his head, continuously vomiting into a tube from the increased pressure. He was restrained so he couldn't pull the tubes out but he was responsive. Left side was paralysed . For some reason, the staff pulled out the breathing tube, maybe to see if he could handle secretions. But he could not at that time. I am haunted by the decision made by my family to not reintubate and give palliative support.....dad always said he would never want to live with tubes, unable to care for himself. But he was responding when asked, that he wanted to put the tube in again.....it was a right brain stroke and we don't know if he realized what was going on. Later that night when he was no longer intubated, he whispered to me, "am I ok"? I said no dad, you are not ok. You had a big stroke and ......So, he was moved to a wonderfully caring area in oncology wing where we could all visit/stay and  where he was made very comfortable till he passed a few days later. Could he have made it to a point that would have satisfied him or would he be angry that we kept him alive? The pulmonary doctor stated that he felt it was unethical to have him reintubated but that he had to because not all of our family listed on advanced directives agreed on what to do .Later that day after my sister kept crying "please stop torturing my dad", all came to agreement with a doctor conferring. The confusion, hurt,hope,shock and incredibly strong emotions all came into play as we only wanted to do what dad wanted. It was a really bad time for all. But I am happy for so many of these families who hang in there and come to a place of some healing and life. I know that God is good and gracious and that "nothing can ever separate us from the love of Christ", "not even death". And that is where my hope lies.
Hello everyone,

I need some help and advice, my 65 years old otherwise healthy father had a stroke on 3/24/13 due to high blood pressure.  Hemorrhage 2.7x2.8 cm.  When it happened he was home alone and while he was on the floor he was able to make a phone call and get help rather quickly.  He didn’t go into a coma, didn’t need surgery and cognitively he was with it from the begging.  He didn’t need feeding tube or breathing tube and his speech is back though some words are still hard for him to say.  He was in ICU for 5 days and by April 1st he was moved to inpatient rehab for three weeks.  His progress is very slow but the third CT scan which was taken while he was still in ICU showed no new hemorrhage and no extra-axial fluid.  Paralysis on the right leg and arm, he is doing well and we have PT, OT and acupuncture as well.  We walk on quad cane with a lot of help because of right side but I feel his weight on me less and less every day.  My question is what can I expect from here, is he going to gain mobility?  He was so active and strong and it just kills me to watch him like this, is he going to gain anything back and how much longer?  I am a single woman with full time job but I moved him with me and so far I am managing well but I know it can’t be like this in long term, he is all I have please someone tell me it is going to get better.  I am loosing hope.

Hi, Do not give up hope and never quit trying to get all the help possible for your dad. My wife also had a hemorrmagic stoke in Dec 2011. She spend several months in the hospital, rehab center, outpatient physical therapy and in home care from OT s and PTs until all of our insurance benefits ran out. .PROGRESS REPORT My wife was making great progress ( walking with my assistance, being able to get from her wheelchair into another chair with just a little help) after all of the care mentioned above but unfortunately had a bad fall after 9 months of hard work and fractured her hip so we basicaly had to start all over with therapy. Her insurance company would not pay for any more therapy so I enrolled her in an outpatient physical therapy program and could pay for it over a period of time. We are now waiting till next month to get her medicare coverage and I will enroll her in all the possible programs again with the hope that medicare will cover some of the expenses and she will continue to make progress. I know it is hard, but like Jimmy V said DON'T EVER GIVE UP.
Thank you. Good luck with your wife. My dad doesn’t even have any insurance though I moved him to the states in 2011 and in order to be qualified ears Medicare he has to live here for 5 years so you can imagine what I am going through emotionally, physically and financially.  He is doing well with walking on quad cane and needs less help to keep his balance ever day.  I am super careful because I know if he suffer a fall it’ll be a major setback.  Was your wife walking at all before the fall? Admire you for standing by her side and keep encouraging her not every man takes “till death do us apart” serious.  She is even younger than my dad so I am sure she will bounce back, nutrition is very important too, increase lean protein, vegetable and whole grains in her diet and I would suggest even supplements.  It has been a week since I brought my dad home and I can see changes, he has more energy and feels better being off the nasty hospital food.  I use low sugar protein shakes and bars in between meals and increased antioxidants such as blueberry in his diet, it helps with the cell recovery.  I hope you are allowing others to reach out and take care of you while you are taking care of her, I am learning to do so myself.   Best of luck and thank you
Recently my Grandmother had a hemorrhage stroke which has devastated me, my family and especially my Granddad.  I am so amazed that her story is so similar to everyone else's here on this page.  She also went into hospital the day before her stroke for a catheter and suffered 2 strokes.  The second one was the hemorrhage which put her into a violent sort of coma where she didn't respond to sound or touch but she was kicking and jerking and fighting to sit up.  The traumatic thing is that even though she was in hospital when it happened nobody discovered her until my Granddad came to collect her and found her all alone.  You can imagine how upsetting it was for him, they have been married for 58 years and they do everything together.
The doctors told us that she would probably die or be like a vegetable for the rest of her life which was the most distressing thing I have ever had to listen to.  And then as if by magic she opened her eyes on the second day.  It is now the eleventh day and she can walk, go to the toilet and feed herself.  
I am worried that she doesn't remember me and that she won't be the same person ever again.  I love her so much and she is so lively and energetic. I don't know if she always understands me when I talk. She can talk back sometimes, but often it is nonsensical.  She can read and sing but she can't find her own words.  Her memory is so bad that she forgets who she just spoke to or what she ate for dinner 2 minutes before.   I am also very upset for my Granddad who is 81 years old and is now living without her.  It makes my heart crumble to see the destruction that the stroke caused.  I know I am very lucky that my Granny has coped so well so far.  I just hope that she will recognize me and carry on loving me.  I am confident that she has some understanding of who I am, and I hope she knows how much I care about her.
These posts have been so useful to me.  Thank you everyone.
from a worried Granddaughter x
Thank You. We have just experienced this in my family. It has been a very tough thing to go thru.
On July 13, 2013, I suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. I was 53.  They only gave me a 40% chance of survival. I don't remember the first month of the 54 days that I was in the hospital, but my family tells me that I was on a vent, I was dazed and unresponsive.  I was in ICU for 11days and then I was moved to a step down unit, where I began rehab in my room. I could neither sit up on my own, nor hold my head up.  I couldn't talk, read or write.

In my 10 month recovery, (today marks the date) I have certainly come a long way. I have had a lot of people all over the world praying for me. My sister says I'm a miracle. I've decided to write this to encourage those of you who may have suffered a stroke, or have loved one who has, to NEGU - Never Ever Give Up! I learned this from Jessie Rees during her battle with a inoperable, incurable brain tumor that she was diagnosed with in March of 2011. She lived only 10 months, but she was an example to me and many others by her positive and caring attitude.  

Today I can eat normally, read, write, type (with one hand because my right arm still isn't working YET), talk, & walk with the aid of a hemi-walker. I still have a long way to go, but I am still improving in baby steps every single day. Today my PT had me walk on my on for the first time since the stroke! I can also go from sitting to a standing position without using my hands for support.  
My OT uses e-stim therapy on my arm and leg.
My advice:  If your head starts hurting out of the blue and it's the worst pain you've ever experienced -CALL 911 Immediately. Try to get into rehab as soon as you can and if you're told to do 10 reps of a particular exercise, do a dozen. E-stim does help. Never listen to anything negative and if you get depressed, don't stay there too long. If you have particular ?'s, feel free to respond.
This site has given me hope that there is still more recovery in my future.
My father had a hemorrhagic stroke on September 28,2014 and they told us that he was not going to make it. The placed a temporary drain tube into is head, which helped a lot. His BP was up and down as well as his temperature. They say if the bleeding continues they will have to do the SHUNT process which is the permanent tube inside of his head. At this point I was like whatever will keep my father here, I am down for it. So they did the procedure and called all of the family in the room and said that he might not have needed the tube, because is wasn't really working, I was like what?? if he didn't need it why would you do it. Then I had to think to myself and say God has a reason behind all of this and that he will take my family out of this situation. The doctor then came in the room the next day and said that my father would be in vegetative state for the rest of his life, I became devastated and I had to snap back into reality and remember to keep the faith. The nurse came in and said Mike can you squeeze my hand and he did it, and then she said can you wiggle your toes and he did it. My dad is now in neuro-step-down and is responding sometimes he do hallucinate and sometimes he say things that doesn't make since but he still remembers everyone and still has his sense of humor. He is doing great! My dad is my world, And if you pray and pray and pray until God answers your prayers, he knows you are a believer. God bless you all and I believe my father has a testimony to share.
KayKay143... I'm very glad to hear there is positive results with your Dad.  Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way.
Hello

My Brother had a stroke on the 10th March a bleed stroke. I was with him in A & E until 5am in the morning and his right side was weaker but there was power - he also was answering with one word answers. The following day his responses were still appropriate but he was very agitated and his blood pressure was going through the roof so the following day he was put on a ventilator and sedated. A second scan showed the bleed had increased slightly.  It was not a big bleed but in a bad spot. He remained sedated and a third scan showed an improvement but we were told that he was worse off than the night he arrived in hospital. We were told he could die and that his chances were 50/50. Over the last week they have tried to lighten sedation but kept saying it was not working and he got agitated. One of the nights when his sedation was less he woke up and looked at us and and when we were leaving we said goodbye and he lifted his left hand as if to wave.  After that he got stressed and was knocked out again. On Thursday he was moved from ICU to HDU. We had 3 meetings with doctors this week each of them worse than the one before. His sedation stopped fully on Thursday and we were getting responses - we knew he knew we were there and his eyes opening slightly and then more and he was responding to music we were playing but when we mentioned it to the nurses they just smiled and said he was not obeying commands and they work off the Glasgow Coma Scale. The following day his eyes were open even more and following his girlfriend around the room, squeezing her hand and moving his left arm and leg. We were told on Friday to prepare for the worst. That if he got anything like pneumonia or his heart weakened that they would not be tying to save him. We were told he might die again and really they thought he may have had a more serious stroke but was too weak to scan.  We insisted on the responses we were getting and as we walked out of the family room devastated the doctor went to asssess him and we heard her saying Oh God there are some responses. In the last 2 days he has opened his eyes more and more -making more movements and tried to move his mouth (he has a tracheostomy) he has smiled and squeezed our hands. They are now scanning him tomorrow and have also started a few minutes of physiotherapy for his circulation . Do you think we have hope after all this - do these signs sound positive to any of you? On Friday I didnt know what to feel. I have been my parents strength keeping them positive but I felt a bit defeated on Friday and thought do I keep positive or am I in denial? Really loved reading these stores and thank you
How is your brother doing? Every stroke is different... and I think there may always be hope, but it's so hard to tell... as the strokes are so different in severity.  

It's April 1st, how is your brother today?

I feel like we are going through similar situations and wanted to share my brother's stroke case. He had a stroke on March 8 and it was unfortunate that he got help on March 9 because no one was there with him. He was unconscious when admitted to a hospital and after a CT scan, we were told he has left basal ganglia hemorrhagic stroke and the bleed was big and was in difficult part of the brain. It was very difficult for us to hear all these bad things at a time. He was then moved to ICU and a Neuropsychiatric doctor was treating him and hoping the bleed will be reabsorbed. After 4 days his consciousness dropped from 9 to 4 on Glasgow Comma scale. They then decided to do a surgery and clean out the blood, but we were told survival is 50/50. After two hours surgery, he was able to survive but still then we were told his recovery is 50/50. His conditions started to get even worse, his BP was high and  fluctuating a lot, infection problems and his consciousness dropped to 3, he was also on a ventilator and you can just imagine how difficult it would be to bear all these for the whole family... But even then I didn't want to give up, me and my sister chose to trust God that things will get better and started to encourage the whole family. After sometime, his conditions started to get better; his BP was okay, and they were able to control the infections. His breathing got better and on April 10, he was breathing by himself (he has a tracheostomy). His consciousness raised to 5 and he was then transferred to a semi-ICU. He hasn't yet opened his eyes and he only moves his right hand in response to pain..Still we are hoping and praying that he will pull through and recover. We chose not give up, even if the doctors are not so positive about his situations.
I think your brother's condition is better than mine, but I do understand how difficult the situation can be. But even then please don't give up, try to stay positive even if situations are not. Please continue to be the strength of your family.

The Hospital food are not so good, and we started to prepare food at home. we also use Ensure nutritional supplement. Does anyone have an experience using Ensure for such patients, please I need your advice. Also if you know any other food types that is good to give him...Thanks!!
My brother died on April 2nd, he just deteriorated before or eyes and got food on his lungs, we are heartbroken
My brother died April 2 nd, I remained positive but he just went downhill, got food on his lungs. We are heartbroken
Thank you, my niece who is 40 is in the hospital now I found her Sunday. April 11-2015 on the floor don't know how long she had been there, she has not responded like one of the other people, she moves her tongue, she has Pneumonia from the aspiration. They suggest the nursing home, she is doing nothing, looks well has a feeding tube. I can't give up on a miracle, but afraid of what will be the ultimate outcome, I am up now can't sleep thinking about how I found her on that floor. I am devastated. She suffers from diabetes. And high blood pressure. Please continue to look for hope and her,p from the Lord
Same with ny 40 year old niece I am praying for a miracle. I am praying for you as well
It's good to read a good report. Thank you Lord
Day 11 for my niece she had a blank stare moves her right arm somebody tell me will it ever get better. Can the see anything, are they in pain?
I am so very sorry about your brother... so very sorry :(  I lost my Mom in October due to a massive stroke to her brainstem... it is heartbreaking. My prayers go out to you and your family during this time of loss.  We have no answers... I know it's so very sad, I'm sorry.
Shot.. I do not know the answer to that.  My Mom had a massive stroke to her brainstem.  She opened her eyes a few times during the week she was in the ICU, but it didn't appear that she heard me.  I videotaped a conversation I had with her and when I asked her to blink her eyes, it looked like she did, but it could have been coincidental.  She had a blank stare... it was very sad, but we talked to her anyway.  We decided to bring her home on hospice after 5 days in ICU.. she was 80yo... and we did not want to put a feeding tube in her and send her off to a nursing home in the shape she was in.  She would not have wanted that.  It's been a very hard 6mo for my family.

Does your niece follow you with her eyes?  Any recognition to the outside world?
Viewing 201-210 comments: