Stroke Community
Hemorrhagic Stroke Right Side of Brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Hemorrhagic Stroke Right Side of Brain

Hello, my 54 year old mom had a ruptured aneurysm on Saturday April, 13 2013.  When they were doing the procedure filling in the ruptured aneurysm, they found a blood clot, the doctor tried to remove it and he put a lot of medicine to get rid of but only a little bit came out.  Then the doctors that day told us that my mom suffered a hemorrhagic stroke due to the blood clot.  They did another little hole in her brain for drainage of blood.  With that her Right side of her brain was still swollen with a lot of pressure, then they removed her Bone Flap to relieve the pressure.  As of now two days ago she open her eyes for a second, and today she actually opened her eyes for a while but I know she can't see me yet because she can't follow my finger only closes her eyes when my hand is too close to her eyes.  Right now since she has that breathing tubes all the way down her throat, when they suction her she gets agitated, it should be really uncomfortable now that she is not sedated.  Doctor say that they don't know why she still hasn't fully woke up or move yet, they think is from the right side of the brain that is still swollen.  All they thinking about now is removing that breathing tube and replacing it with a little hole in her throat and also adding a g-tube to her get food through her stomach.  Doctors think that the stroke from the MRI is small/medium.  Before this I was unaware about all of it, my mom is very healthy she was actually in the middle of her Zumba class when in happen. So sorry for the long message, but I want to know:
Why doesn't she wake up like the doctors are expecting to? How long is this process through recovery?
Doctors mention that she may not go home after ICU or rehab she may go to a nursing home first, but she is only 54 :(  She has two girls in college and a 12 year old, it is shocking how this happen but we are all praying for her to get all better and back to normal. :)
So sorry to hear about your young mother.  Yes, aneurysms are not a sign of ill health--just something that can be hidden away.  Often when they are ruptured people die on the spot.  I'm not a doctor, but the brain is a very complex and not very well understood part of the body.  I don't think that the doctors know any more than they are telling you.  They just don't know.  But hear about this, my mother had a hemmorhagic stroke and seemed barely conscious. Two weeks later, the doctor told me that she only had 4 days to live, but could die any time.  She kept getting better and lived another 2 years at age 88.  So anything can happen.  You will just have to keep visiting her and talking to her, telling her how much she is loved, because she may be able to hear even though she can't see.  The fact that she is as young as she is in her favor. Sorry I don't think that you will find any more answers.  You'll just have to wait.  

I had a major stroke with no risk factors completely out of the blue, not a typical one from a clot, at age 56.  Then in following up with an MRI, they found that I have a brain aneurysm.  It will most likely kill me if it ever ruptures. But the risk is very small at the size that it is and I get it checked every 2 years. Life isn't always fair.

You take care.  Keep your optimism.  And keep me posted.
Sara
Thank you Sara for your response, and sorry to hear about your mother but I am glad she got to live for another 2 years. Yes I will keep you posted, she is still the same right now and we do keep talking to her with happy thoughts and love.  Thanks again.