Stroke Community
How well can a patient recover from an AVM bleed/stroke?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I am reading a lot of your stories, and have to ask if any of your loved ones stroke due to a bleed caused by an AVM?  My husband just suffered something similar to a Hemorrhagic Stroke, The AVM in his brain gave way and bled.  This was in the motor skills portion of his brain.  He slumped over holding his head and screaming in agony, vomited all the way to the hospital.  Hours went by before they were able to determine what his condition was, by then they had put into an induced coma.  This happened on a Thurs. and by Sat. they had to do an emergency surgery to remove the skull cap and release the pressure caused by the bleed. They did an embolization on Mon. and the main surgery to remove the AVM on Tues.  They already knew he would be paralyzed from the stroke from where it occured, we just don't know the extent yet.  He has been in a coma for 3 weeks now.  Every time the doctors try to bring him around, new complications arise, and they are forced to start over. I guess what I am looking for is some kind of hope that my husbands situation is not unique, and that there is proof that an AVM patient can recover. I hope you can help shine some light on our situation.
Dear mysoulmate,

My wife had a very similar incident on 29th Dec 2012. she also had a hammorghic stroke & rush to the hospital. she is battling out for more than a month now, there are considerable changes in her she has opened her eyes, left side of her is showing slight movements, while right side is little paralysed & repsonding to only pains. On & off she is suffering from fever spikes & infections, according to doctor she have a better chance to battle it out as she is just 30years & she have lot determination. So do not loose your heart, I think you have to give him some time & pray to god make up things faster for you both.
Regards
Sanju  
I hope I can help by giving you both some hope. I had a hemorraghic stroke nearly two years ago. I to had to have emergency surgery to remove a blood clot, and was in icu on a ventilator, I was also tube fed as I couldn't swallow, infact there wasn't much I could do as I was in a very bad way. I was in hospital for over 3 months and I came home in a wheelchair, with an eyepatch on and my hair shaved in two places. Now I live on my own walk outdoors with the help of a crutch, do not need an eyepatch and my hair has grown back. It has taken a long time and hard work, as I have had  to learn to do everything again which included walking and talking. If you have any questions please ask. We take so many things for granted it is not untill we are not able to do these things that we realise what it is like.