Stroke Community
I am a Stroke Survivor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I am a Stroke Survivor

Just a little encouragement for the families of the stroke victims so devastated here.  I had a infarct in the temporal lobe in July, 2013. It left me with a grossly weakened left side, numbness and non-control of my left arm and leg plus a myriad of other minor complaints. I have memory issues and anger issues, as well as fatigue. I certainly am not the person I was pre-stroke. I had a lot of therapy for several months and looking back, I regained MUCH control in those months. I have relearned a good part of what the left side of me does. Now that you have this overview, let me say I have good days and bad days. I can walk (and do, two miles a day). I am back at work, 75% of my former schedule. I live alone...I drive, I laugh, I love and I FINALLY have learned to accept what limitations I have. I drop things, lose interest in minor household chores, get angry at myself because "I can't"...BUT, I had to push, push push to relearn some things so simple for "normal" people...I was active, fast moving and happy pre-stroke. Now I am mostly active, slow moving and happy.  Please don't get frustrated with yourself or your loved one. Even small goals are important. I am still making even a little progress now...albeit not so much...I will likely never be 100%. I don't have much family but I have a few really good, loving and supportive friends....Mostly, I'm still me...I just decided when I had this occurrence I was going to get better--I just thought it would be two weeks!  (Hah..hah..hah..but maybe that was good).

I may have another one, which I hope is either terminal or less than the one I had...I don't want to be paralyzed in a bed somewhere, but the chances of another is great. Support your loved one or friend, for that is the most important part. Listen and be there. Push when you can but don't wear them out. One day, the turning point will bring you both great joy...that is the day when acceptance becomes reality and one knows that this too, is life. God bless all the caregivers.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and thanks a lot for sharing. Its just what is needed, a really really strong positive approach to overcome stroke symptoms. Along with physical therapy, you could try a lot of ‘brain teasers’ to improve your memory functions. The brain can retain only a certain number of ‘facts’ and everything else is recalled based on its relationship with these facts. So, try always making lists and memorising, doing a lot of puzzles, focus on recalling textual content and mathematical logic, not only recall keep giving it your personal touch by adding something to it; focus on both long term and short term events and jot it down and get it cross checked and keep improving on speed and efficiency. And do get adequate sleep; it’s supposed to improve cognitive functions. I know it’s easy to talk but difficult to practice, but perseverance is the key here keep at it and you will see a drastic improvement. So, take lots of good care & wishing you luck. Regards.