Stroke Community
In a case of hemorrhagic stroke, what should we look out for?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Hello Doctor,

My 45 year old mother had a hemorrhagic stroke 21 months ago. The whole of her left hand side was paralyzed and apparently the stroke was caused as an artery burst in the center of her brain. She had a very speedy recovery from her stroke and her tests are also coming normal. My question is that to avoid another stroke, what precautions should we take and what should we look out for?

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your mother? It is good that the test results were fine. To prevent any recurrence of stroke, it is important to identify her stroke risk factors, regular follow-up with her attending physician and adopting a healthy lifestyle which includes controlling high blood pressure, controlling diabetes, maintaining a healthy weight, healthy diet, exercising regularly, and intake of preventive medications prescribed. If she has co-morbid conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, it is important that the blood pressure and sugar are controlled. Watch out for the symptoms of stroke also. Anti-platelet drugs and  anticoagulants may also be indicated. Take care and best regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you very much for our feedback Dr. Santos. I will for sure take this in consideration.