Stroke Community
Incapable of talking or swallowing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Incapable of talking or swallowing

My husband had a massive stroke one week ago.  A peg was inserted in stomach 2 days ago. He cannot talk or swallow. Also, his right side is paralyzed.  Can anyone share their experience in this area, loss of swallowing ability and talking, if it came back, how long it took, what kind of exercizes to do to encourage restoration, how you or loved ones are coping now.  I desparately seek all thoughts and advice, good and bad, encouraging and realistic.  He just turned 50 and was a healthy construction worker, except for bad habits like smoking.

Thanks,

Mary
My sister had a massive stroke just over a year ago.  She couldnt swollow walk etc....She's really made big progess and in the last couple of months has begun swollowing and is now taking small steps with her walking.  You can see her story at www.***@**** This should give your husband some hope.  She's come a long way.  Still a lot to go, but always making progress.
My mom just had a brainstem stroke on February 15 and she just had a trach put in and a feeding tube in her stomach today. they tried to take her off of her vent but she was not strong enough. She is also unable to use her right side but can move her left arm and leg. My mom cannot talk. They have told us that she has already over-come so much. I am not sure what the future holds.
I'm not sure if somewhat of a similar situation but my dad who is 51 had a stroke 12/25/08... he was in a coma for a few weeks and obviously unable to eat/talk.  He had an NG tube placed (thru the nose) once he started waking up he did fail his swallow study at first but after about a week the function started to return on its own.  He wasn't able to talk because of aphasia...not because of the muscles, but this may be different for you.  They wanted to put a PEG in for my dad but we opted against it, it took a little while but he was able to start on a  liquid diet and work up to eating regular food, it does take him alot longer to eat but at least hes doing it on his own.  Are they letting you put anything in his mouth?  We found that using a damp/wet sponge with ice water or even room temp water helped to stimulate his mouth.  I don't know if any of this helped but figured i'd try.