Is anger a commom problem post stroke
My husband is 54 yo and had a massive right side stroke 3 years ago. Dr. did not think he would live, but after a year and a half of therapy he is able to walk with a quad cane, feed himself, talk, and is continent. The cognitive deviciets are, no short term memory, confusion, compulsive, hallucinations, anxiety, and depression. Still no use of the left arm/hand. He spent 6 months in skilled nursing and I have cared for him at home until 4 months ago. He was starting to get angry, and while in  the snl (skilled nursing facility) has hit and threatened people. He never had this kind of aggression before, does anyone know if this is a normal progression of post stroke ? They now have him on very heavy duty meds which is another concern. Any input would be helpful.   Thanks      
stroke patients tend to get better day by day if they are being treated properly, if their condition is getting worse day by day or all of a sudden.. then you better take him to a really Good neurologist ASAP.
He may have brain damage.
Stroke people are like pets.If you ask them to do what they are not capable of they become wild. With love you can acomplish. With disciline you may not.Care giver has to tune finely for each individual case. I am speaking with my own experience.
when people have had strokes, it can change their personality.

for example... some one before they have stroke may not use swear words. post stroke, they may come out with words you have never heard them say.
People can become aggressive. they can be angry because they may not be as independent as they used to be. it is frustrating for them. they can become emotional.

hope this helps x
My husband had a stroke in 2009, with brain surgery to relieve pressure and they removed part of his cerbellum.  He is becoming increasingly angry and easly annoyed.  He makes the most negative and degrading comments.  I have asked him to say something nice and he says I can't.  He talked a lot before the stroke, now he talks more, and has to be right.  if you don't listen to him he gets terribly upset.  Little things like someone stepping in front of him at baggage claim causes him to get loud and RUDE!!  This is not good. He had little physical damage, and but many other non-physical related post stroke issues. I want to know if the anger in someone who has recovered physically, will go away, or lesson, because it seems to be getting worst.  

***@****
Bobcat,
Hi.  I have the same problem. My husband is 56.  He has short term memory loss.  His personality has totally changed.  It is very confusing.  He gets angry, frustrated, and follows me around kindof criticizing me on everything I do. He was not at all like that before the stroke.  He has no life of his own, and is living through me.  It has been 10 months, and this is my first time talking to anyone about this.  So, how are you coping?  What do you do?  Any suggestions from you? Any answers you have gotten?
Thanks for posting your comment.
mckinleyr