Stroke Community
Is it a min stroke or could it be something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I suffered a numbness to the right side of my face & arm last week. (it felt like the anaesthetic wearing after a visit to the dentist). I was still able to move everything, I looked no different. It later went to my leg & disappeared from arm & face. I went to the hospital CT clear, neck clear, MRI done (waiting for results),  cholesterol fine, BP Ok, weight a little high (BMI 25.8), waiting results of other bloods, Age 40, exercise moderate. They said it may be a mini stroke so not to drive for month. Feel Ok since except shoulder feels like it has carried a heavy bag. Was  back a work 2 days later altho long trains due to having to catch train. Will see consultant  again in a couple of days. Could it be anything else. I don't them to say mini-stroke without considering any other cause. Can you advise (I appreciate you can't examine me but any advice is welcomed). Thanks in advance
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms were present?  It is good that the initial diagnostic tests were normal. Stroke usually is seen in imaging studies such as CT scan or MRI. Other differentials of stroke that we can consider are migraine, hypoglycemia, electrolyte imbalance, infection or seizure. For proper diagnosis, direct evaluation and additional diagnostic tests may be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted with your follow-up consultation. Best regards.
Thanks for your reply. Not feeling too bad. Went back to consultant who was really nice. MRI showed no sign of stroke but keep getting intermittent sensations in arm so being referred to neurology. Also not all bloods back. I guess it will be a while if ever before I find out what's going on.