Stroke Community
Is it possible I may have had a stroke?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Is it possible I may have had a stroke?

Question: Is it possible to have a stroke even though you were conscious and fully aware of things throughout the whole duration of the incident?

Recently, during a disagreement gone sour, my boyfriend strangled me (he was pressing my {carotid?} arteries on the sides of my neck), and I felt dizzy and weak in my right arm afterwards, with a tremendous headache, and was stumbling and incorrectly pronouncing simple words when relating the incident to my mother over the phone about several hours afterwards. ( I also took Ibuprofin which I recently found out is bad to take if you're risking a stroke)

In the course of the next few days, I felt weakness and tingling in my arms and recall having trouble lifting one of them while doing laundry. I went to the doctor and she said I was fine, and that although I was experiencing acute symptoms, I did not have a stroke, yet how can she be sure? All she did was look at my pupils and test my strength and reaction. Where were these symptoms stemming from if in fact I did not have a stroke? My arms occasionally still have soreness and weakness sensations which were not there before. She said oxygen was still getting to the brain during the whole incident and that the soreness in my arteries afterward was internal bruising. Is it possible I could have had a minor stroke, and suffered even minimal brain damage that perhaps is undetectable as a result?

I recently asked a question in a medical forum about whether or not it was possible for a person to incur damage to their thought processes and lose their capacity for thought and problem-solving skills due to stroke and a professional responded with this, which really worried me:
"Damage and the subsequent problems with speech, language, and cognition rely entirely on the site and size of the lesion.
Tissue does not regenerate significantly enough to affect functional recovery, unfortunately.
Yes, it is entrirely possible to have damaged reasoning and problem-solving skills. Typically, in the absence of a language deficit, the lesion in that case would most likely be in the frontal lobe of the right cerebral hemisphere."

I acquired no language difficulties or slurred speech after the incident,(nothing that wasn't present before - due to stress) and her answer implied that if there are no language issues, then the damage is most likely present in the frontal lobe and now I am really worried. What functions are associated with the frontal lobe? I do have OCD and tend to fret over things like this. It seems my OCD is still intact by the way, if this this means anything.

All in all, my thoughts have been disconnected, I'm experiencing a flatness of mood, and cannot focus.  I'm also having problems with general memory retrieval.  Could this be brain damage or a psychological self fulfilling prophecy?
I shoukd have known it would be this type of site.  I guess all the "experts" are busy.  Maybe I'll stumble upon some sincere advertising further on in my search.
So sorry we cannot answer your questions fast enough for you.  We are not doctors.  We are just people here to share our experiences with others and to give our opinions on things we do know about.  Probably, the reason your question wasn't answered is because WE DON'T KNOW.  We can't diagnose you over the internet.  We can say it sounds like a stroke, but what do we really know?  You may want to click on the "doctors" link and ask them but, again, it's hard to say since it's over the internet.  I know you're wanting to get help with your condition but I sure hope you press charges against your boyfriend who caused all this pain upon you.
Honey I know what you are saying but in all honesty I saw three doctors within 2 days and not one of them even checked my pupils which I find a little bit odd when my right eye is half closed.  I feel for your frustration and can only think that maybe you should try another doctor..friends (2 who are nurses) have told me to go to a neurologist and I am thinking about trying to see one this week.  Perhaps you may even want to get your neck checked out as well since arm tingling and pain sometimes originates in the neck.  Please heed some of the advice given by the previous post and try to keep clear of the individual who did this to you.  Death can occur in a very short time when violence gets out of control.  Please take care of yourself as I have found out...no one else will.