Stroke Community
Is there a test to see if I have had a stroke?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I was wondering because I still can't get it out of my head that I may have had a stroke a couple years ago.  Just coming home from a CPR/First Aid class today is what got me thinking about it again.  So I will explain what happend..at the time I was only maybe 20 years old and I was at work and started to feel strange.  I started to get a headache and the next thing i remember was my lips feeling funny like I had just been to the dentist and still had novacaine.  So within i'd say five minutes It progressed to an extreme headache and numbness in my arm and face and I was throwing up.  I felt really out of it but somehow made it home although i couldnt really tell you how i made it.  in my confusion when i got home i had even accidentally locked my dog out of my apartment and didnt know until the neighbor told me.  anyways at the time i was covered by kaiser and i called the advice line and told them everything and they told me that i just had a migrane (migraine) and to go to a dark place and lie down.  i thought this was a little weird since i was experiencing numbness.  anyways i didnt think about it much until maybe a year after when i lost my kaiser coverage and went to a different doctor for new birth control and she told me there was no way she could prescribe me the type of birth control i was taking through kaiser and that she could not believe kaiser let me take that kind and that they didnt do anything about my migranes (migraines) (i had many more migranes (migraines) after that one incedent at work but none to the extreme of that day)  anyways this new doctor put me on a "mini" birth control pill that only contains one hormone because she told me i was at a very very high risk for stroke so after hearing this i began wondering if it was indeed a stroke i had had.  I would just like to know if there is any way to tell now even though it has been a couple years because i would like to know if i am at risk for having another if it was indeed a stroke.  sorry this was so long and not very grammatical but any info would be really appreciated!

thank you
michelle
Cat Scan, MRI/MRA perhaps. Do you have any lingering effects since the first episode?