Stroke Community
Life expectancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Life expectancy

My mom suffered a stroke last week.  She is 55 years old.  This came on so suddenly.  Her right carotid artery is 100% occluded and she suffered a right MCA territory stroke affecting the basil gangila and parietal lobe. She has paralysis on her left side, mainly her left leg, and severe weakness in her left shoulder.  Surgery was not recommended and not even discussed as the right carotid is 100% occluded.  

She is very scared and just wants to know what her chances are of this happening again and what her estimated life expectancy is.  She does smoke and her cholesterol is 201, but those are her only risk factors.  Other than that, she is very active and healthy.  

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I am 45 and have suffered a similar episode, she needs to stop smoking immediately and lower her cholestrol through correct nutrition, this is what I have done and it should lessen the possibility of another episode
My mother suffered a severe stroke after a heart catherization.  She is totally parlyzed on the left side.  She is now 87 years old and has been in the nursing home.  She suffered from her stroke in May 2007.  What is the life expectancy.
My mother is 86 years old and also lives in a nursing home. She suffered her first stroke 13 years ago. Although she suffered no paralysis, her sight was affected and her speech severely impaired. Eighteen months ago she suffered a second stroke and was not expected to survive the night. She did, however, and although she initially appeared to have no additional disabilities as a consequence of this episode, she has deteriorated dramatically since and, in hindsight, it seems that her passing would have been a blessing.  As such, 'life expectancy' should not, in my view, be seen simply as the period of time leading to death, but as expectancy for "quality of life".

My mother is now completely immobile, unable to communicate in any meaningful way, or even understand what is being communicated to her, is virtually deaf and has very poor eyesight, and suffers from double incontinance. There is no recognisable part of her left and both  my sister and I are trapped in a limbo of grieving with no end in sight.

I have been searching the internet to try and get some insight into when my mother, myself and my sister will finally be released from this suffering,  It seems, however, that, although a stroke can kill, when a victim survives there is minimal impact on the subsequent duration of their life, Sadly, the same cannot always be said about the quality of it.
How is your mother?  Has she passed on peacefully.  I see so many in the nursing home I visit that are in the same place as your mother.

We are kinder to our animals than to humans!  
"Quality of Life"!  Yes, people that haven't experienced this do not understand.  My husband had a severe MCA stroke in 2007.  The carotid artery blew.  He was 45.  We have 3 small children.  They did not tell me how much damage he had until after the feeding tube and trach.  He got just well enough to eat and breathe on his own, but he doesn't talk.  He doesn't know us.  It's like a person with no soul.  He has severe seizures, and lives in a nursing home.  Why?  Why do they want so badly to keep people in such bad shape alive and put their families through so much?  It's almost been 3 years.  My guess is, it's all about the money they make from the medicaid!
My husband(57) also had a massive stroke after several TIAs, coritid artery surgery (3x) massive medication.......His quality of life is a lot to be desired. He is paralyzed on the right side and can not talk and can not eat normal food.  He knows just enough to know he does not want to be the way he is. It breaks my heart everytime I leave the nursing home.  So, I so understand what you are feeling.  We live our lives in limbo and watch them live theirs locked up inside themselves.  After a year in the nursing home there are little changes.  I lay awake a night crying and wondering why must he suffer like this. I will pray for you and all of those who must watch a loved one suffer.