Stroke Community
Limp Hand A Stroke?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Limp Hand A Stroke?

My grandmother woke up this morning with a limp right hand.  She is not able to grip objects.  It it not painfule but her fingers look slightly swollen.  She has had cardiovascular problems in the past (minor heart attack, stint).  Could this be a symptom of a stroke?  She is resistant to going to the hospital.  Any thoughts?
Tags: limp, hand, Stroke
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How is your grandmother? According to the American Stroke Association, warning signs of stroke include :sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body; sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding; sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes; sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination  and sudden, severe headache with no known cause. If any of these were observed, immediately seek help. Otherwise,other differentials for a limp hand can be nerve-related  or musculoskeletal in nature. If her condition persists, have this evaluated further by her doctor for proper management.

Take care and keep us posted.
HI, I woke up one morning with a limp left hand--I shook for a few seconds and then it came back. I had no other symptoms of a stroke and I have told my primary care doctor--my neurologist and they have no comment. In other words they have no idea what caused it. I also told a neurobehaviorist about it and he said --oh you should have gone to the hospital when that happened. That would have been a $4k bill and my insurance would have paid 90% and I would have to pay 10% $400 and they would have probably said the same thing. Oh, Mrs so and so we dont know what caused that. I have constant tingling in my hands and feet for over 5 yrs now and all these doctors have done all these nerve tests and they said everything comes out normal. Well I am still working at my office job so if this limp hand starts up again and stays that way I will have to apply to my employer's disability insurance company and then they can request all the doctors' medical tests and reports showing---THEY CANT FIND ANYTHING----Then the disability insurance company will tell me there is nothing wrong with me according to the doctors and then I will have to go back to work and type with my one good hand til that goes limp. Then they will probably tell me to start typing with my feet,til they both go limp.
Could be nothing more sinister than common carpal tunnel syndrome if she does something repetitive with her hands like knitting or even using a tv remote too much!