Stroke Community
Loss of Appetite After Stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Loss of Appetite After Stroke

My Mother/87 had a stroke 5 weeks ago.  She is in a great rehabilitation center but has totally lost her appetite.  She has no trouble swallowing - no damage to the throat/swallowing.  She says "that doesn't taste good" with everything we try to feed her.  She will spit it out and only wants to drink milk.  We can get her to eat maybe 2 tsp.'s of fruit; or a little bite of bread/with butter but all and all eats little to nothing.  She says she is not hungry when you start trying to get her to eat and the minute she takes one bite, she says she is full and begs not to be given anything else.  She has grown progressively weak and they are now giving her 2 days of IV's to rehydrate her.  We talk to her about eating and that is the only way to regain her strength and she understands that and will agree with you - until it is time to eat and she refuses.  Her dr. started her on an anti-depressant that has side affects of increased appetite and has been on that for 2 weeks/with no success.  Any ideas?  We could sure use the help.  She is unable to get out of bed; doesn't understand "turn over"; and is not doing well with minimal PT.  Thanks so much!
I could have written your note almost word for word concerning my mother-in-law.  Have you found any answers?
hello, I have the same problem with my mom, I am rehabbing her at home and she is doing good, the Dr.s cannot believe she survived the stroke let alone walking again, it is a daily grind to get her to eat anything, and she was her witts about her but it is a constant stress to get her to eat, can anyone shed some light on this at all.